• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vietnam March 2024 (2 Viewers)

rowebird87

I am going to be in Vietnam in March 2024, and would like to work on seeing the birds of Southern Vietnam, focusing on Cat Tien, Di Linh, and Dalat. I'm thinking 4 nights in Cat Tien, 1 night Di Linh, and 4 nights Dalat. I'm hoping to coordinate drivers (or a bus, but I prefer a scheduled driver) to take us to each location. We will start in Ho Chi Minh. My husband and I like to bird without a guide and just hire drivers, but we are open to guide recommendations, if this is an area that isn't set up for self-birding. I'm just looking for any update info on traveling this area, as the last post to the forum was from several years ago. Any help or advice appreciated :)

Hi, all locations are good for independant birding, no need for a guide if you like finding the birds yourself.

Car with drivers can be easily arranged through hotels.

Buses work as well, plenty between HCMC, Di Linh and Da Lat. HCMC to Cat Tien is also possible, but I don't have up to date information. Best check with travel agents in HCMC once there.

Motorbikes are not allowed inside Cat Tien. You can walk, rent bicycles or arrange drop offs by car with the park administration.

The Dalat sites are easy to reach by motorbike from town, motorbikes can be rented at the hotels usually.

Last edited:
They may not be your thing, but commercial bird hides are a major part of birding in Vietnam these days and some of the endemics are getting tricky away from these. I would suggest spending one of your Cat Tien days at the Tan Phu Community Forest hides, where Orange-necked Partridge, Siamese Fireback and Blue-trumped and Bar-bellied Pittas give great views. It's a pretty short motorbike ride from the town of Dinh Quan to the hides, and is en route between Ho Chi Minh and Cat Tien.

Deo Nui San is easy to reach by taxi from Di Linh (arrange a return ride if you do!). It should be easy enough to hire motorbikes in the town if you want. There's a couple of bird hides near the cafe at the pass which you can book on the spot in the cafe if you want to use them.

There are several bird hides in the Da Lat area for a variety of the endemics, notably Collared Laughingthrush. Again, a day spent in these will probably get you endemic birds you likely won't find doing general birding.

They may not be your thing, but commercial bird hides are a major part of birding in Vietnam these days and some of the endemics are getting tricky away from these. I would suggest spending one of your Cat Tien days at the Tan Phu Community Forest hides, where Orange-necked Partridge, Siamese Fireback and Blue-trumped and Bar-bellied Pittas give great views. It's a pretty short motorbike ride from the town of Dinh Quan to the hides, and is en route between Ho Chi Minh and Cat Tien.
Hi, do you think that finding endemics away from the hides (where birds are habituated by mealworm feeding) has become more difficult than before when there were less hides?

I doubt so, I think rather that finding some of the endemics in Vietnam has always been hard work, and this hasn't really changed. But comparatively, the hides are just much more easy, especially for getting photos.. So curious about your experience?

There are several bird hides in the Da Lat area for a variety of the endemics, notably Collared Laughingthrush. Again, a day spent in these will probably get you endemic birds you likely won't find doing general birding.
Again, I do not entirely agree. I'd say that with skills or a good guide, in 4 days in Cat Tien and 5 days in Dalat/Di Linh, you will find all or almost all of the endemics by classic birding, without use of the hide.

Personally I do not like using the hides, mainly because it's not my style sitting half a day in one spot and waiting for birds to appear at the feeding station, I prefer to walk around and stalk. I'm more of a birder than a photographer. Also the effect on birds is debated.

For getting good photos though, I agree it will be tough for Pittas or Laughers without using hides.

Sadly it is my personal experience that some species have become significantly rarer and more difficult over time, especially Laughingthrushes. In particular, Orange-breasted seems to be all but trapped-out.
I understand that not everybody wants to use hides like this, but for somebody with limited time they are an option to consider, and for example I would say Orange-necked Partridge is very difficult to see in the field.

Yes, I agree, especially the two species you mention have become difficult (though still not impossible). And trapping of strikingly beautiful endemics is increasing. Some say that the hides also may contribute to the trapping. That's another reason I'm sceptical about hides, even though I certainly see the appeal.

This is great information! We do bring cameras and love a good photo- but we have no problem birding the traditional way. It is nice to have the hide as a backup if we strike out on our own. Is it fairly straightforward which areas to bird in Cat Tien? Like are there particular trails or areas we should checkout? And is it easy to get park staff to get a driver to take us to spots further out from lodge?

Hi, Cat Tien is pretty straight forward to bird. You can do all the interesting trails in 4 days. They should have basic maps at the reception for orientation. If you look up trip reports, you find also maps and sketches for the tracks and trails. If you look up the hotspot map on ebird, this also helps you orientate

For entering Cat Tien NP, you have to cross the river in a small ferry. On the other side, there is the park HQ, with administration buildings, reception area, accommodation for tourists, and 2 basic restaurants. You can arrange guides and transport at the reception.

I believe you can also rent the hides at the reception (for Dalat and Dilinh, you would need to arrange a guide before going there).

There are the following main routes:
  • Grassland area, birding is good along the road. Best done by bicycle to reach the "grassland area", where you may see Peafowl and Gaur. "night safaris" are also done along this road
  • There are a couple of trails in the forest between the HQ area and the road north, good for Pittas and Pheasant. One of the hides is also there I believe.
  • "Heaven's rapids" road, can be done by foot or bicycle from HQ. There is also a good trail network parallel to the track,
  • Crocodile lake trail, you need to have you driven to the trail had, or again use bicycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back