• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking Kestrel 10x25 opinions? (1 Viewer)

julay

I took my 15 year old Opticron 10x25 Asphercals to compare in the shop today... They had Hawke Endurance ED 10x25 which immediately felt poor - blackouts from the eye cups and very stiff focusing and dioptre but image seemed OK. Then I tried Zeiss pocket 10x25 - better eye relief, better focusing but still not great, felt a bit 'plasticky', image good. Then I tried a lightly used pair of Swarowski 10x32 (at £220) - they felt super smooth focusing, good eye relief and good image. Problem was they're too heavy and big:(

Has anyone tried the new Viking Kestrel 10x25? They got a good review from Northern Optics on YTube. I guess I might have to order one to try it out. The Zeiss are available at £275 online but the shop price was £335 and they refused to price match saying it was a 'winter offer price'. 275 was about my upper limit. Are there any other recent and used Leica 10x25 I might find?

Cheers for watching my review. Unsure if you saw the Viking only one. But also have a Viking v Hawke 10x25ED comparison if you scroll down the vids

Cheers for watching my review. Unsure if you saw the Viking only one. But also have a Viking v Hawke 10x25ED comparison if you scroll down the vids
I watched, I think, three vids on the Kestrels of yours including the comparison. With the Kestrel I'd be worried about the focusing, the Hawke I tried was very stiff which put me off it from the start. Perhaps that's just because it's new? Do the focusing rings slacken a bit with use?

I watched, I think, three vids on the Kestrels of yours including the comparison. With the Kestrel I'd be worried about the focusing, the Hawke I tried was very stiff which put me off it from the start. Perhaps that's just because it's new? Do the focusing rings slacken a bit with use?
Like with many binoculars, there may be slight variations. I find the focus on either OK for me. But that is just one opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back