• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback HD 10x50 (binoculars in general) question. Newbie here . (1 Viewer)

SanRood007

United States
Hello. I am new to binoculars. I purchased a Vortex Diamondback HD 10x50 binoculars less than a week ago.
I like the look and I have heard great things about the warranty. I recently started bird watching and will be using for traveling, sight seeing (I know they are not travel size but I don't mind) as well.
I have a question when the sun is in front of me or above me there is a slight white/fog in the bottom lens. When the sun is behind me ( or if I am using them from inside the house and looking outside in a sunny day ) I don't see the white fog. I have cleaned the lens and have adjusted the diopter several times. Is this normal or do I have a defective binoculars? I know this model is not a top of the line model. Please provide your experience with any binocular on this matter .Thank you.

I can't help you with your bin question but I would like to wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.
Please join in wherever you like ;)

You are quite welcome. Your question is in the right place so given that it is after midnight across the pond you might have to wait til tomorrow for some suggestions.

The fog you see is veiling glare, which is caused by stray light in the optical system. It occurs at specific angles to the light source. Nearly all binoculars show glare at certain angles. Some binocular models control glare better than others, but it also has to do with how the binocular fits your face. My Diamondback also shows glare at certain angles, but it usually doesn't bother me. I don't think you will get a better bino for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back