• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID (1 Viewer)

ShlundoKyogre

United States
h5gjxwW.jpg
I have seen a bird in my area Hunterdon County, NJ and I am not sure what kind it is. Is this a blackpoll warbler, goldfinch, or something else? It has a white underside, slightly streaked back a a faint eye stripe. Could someone please ID this? Thanks for your time. The date this picture was taken was October 7th 2022.

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Thanks for the ID! Also does the Bay breasted not have a streaked mantle compared to the blackpoll? Thanks, Shlundo
I don’t see Bay-breasted very often. I always thought that less streaking on the mantle was usually indicative of Bay-breasted, but looking at pictures on Macaulay library tells a bit of different story. I do see some cases where immature/female Bay-breasted have pretty clean mantles, but that certainly isn’t always the case from the Macaulay library. From Sibley it seems to show the clean mantle on first winter birds only, but it does not notate any attention to this difference on the first winter template. Maybe the proper use of the field mark I heard of goes more like this: clean mantle must be first winter Bay-breasted, but streaked mantle could be either. But that’s just a guess and I’ll need to test it more. On the flip side, maybe I am conflating something from memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back