• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler. Not sure which one. New Bern, North Carolina. 9/28/2023. (1 Viewer)

fiveroll

United States
Could be an Orange-crowned Warbler.

The photo May he inadequate which is a possibility.

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 64
I think the tail projects too far past the undertail coverts for most Connecticut Warblers (plus what I can see of the eye-ring doesn't suggest it's complete). I'm hesitant to rule out Common Yellowthroat, which has yellow undertail coverts like this and can be confused with Mourning. I think most Mourning show brighter yellow through the rest of the belly. However, there's enough of a partial eye-ring where I'm leaving Mourning Warbler in the equation. Is there any chance you have another photo, fiveroll?

These are all.

I presume, as previously noted, a Common Yellowthroat. Female I assume.
Merlin gives that result every time.
Thanks much for the comments. Appreciate it very much.
👍

I think the tail projects too far past the undertail coverts for most Connecticut Warblers (plus what I can see of the eye-ring doesn't suggest it's complete). I'm hesitant to rule out Common Yellowthroat, which has yellow undertail coverts like this and can be confused with Mourning. I think most Mourning show brighter yellow through the rest of the belly. However, there's enough of a partial eye-ring where I'm leaving Mourning Warbler in the equation. Is there any chance you have another photo, fiveroll?
I agree with all of this. From the initial view, the under tail coverts are not nearly long enough for Connecticut. This is one of the more distinctive identification marks for Connecticut, which is nice because often times you’re only able to get a view of their rear end, as they are notorious skulkers. It looks most like a Common Yellowthroat to me. I can’t rule out Mourning but I can’t see anything that makes me think it is one. They are pretty rare in NC and this bird is out in the open on the ground. It’s not conclusive but the odds strongly favor this being a Common Yellowthroat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back