• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp ID please (Cambs. UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

A small Ichy type wasp. But with some really distiguishing characteristics!
1) Red front and mid legs
2) Thorax - predominantly black with some cream markings
3) Abdomen - Red and Black. Pale/Cream under the red part
4) Eyes - Black with cream surrounds
5) Antenae - Black and as long as the thorax and abdomen
6) Rear legs - Black, with some red, white socks
I have looked through everything I can lay my hands and eyes on and can't find it.

Maybe I am missing it because I am not allowing enough variation?
Could someone take a look and see if they can ID it please?

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• Pic21.jpg
    Pic21.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Pic21a.jpg
    Pic21a.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Pic21b.jpg
    Pic21b.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Pic21c.jpg
    Pic21c.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Pic21d.jpg
    Pic21d.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 11
Very similar to a male

Ischnus inquisitorius , but without the white bands on the antennae.

Thanks creaturesnapper. Just out of curiosity, the "white band on the antenae" - are these simply a variable. That some have them and some don't. Do they appear with age or some other reason? Gareth

As far as I know it is not variable , but don’t quote me on that .There are so many species ,probably hundreds still to be identified .An expert in Hymenoptera might be able to answer your question .

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back