• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp ID please? (Cambs. UK) (2 Viewers)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

My books are packed away for a long expected move and I am struggling to ID a couple of insects I came across.
One is this wasp.

From the head to the end of the abdomen is about 2inches. I have seen smaller ones that are similar but this was quite a beast.
It also seems to have a vast selection of joga moves (see pics).

Could some try to ID, I know some of these are problamatic.

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 13
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 12
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 11
Saw one of these for the first time last week - as far as I can tell it’s a sabre wasp Rhyssa persuasoria. Very impressive beast!

Also known as the persuasive burglar:oops:

Last edited:
Saw one of these for the first time last week - as far as I can tell it’s a sabre wasp Rhyssa persuasoria. Very impressive beast!

Also known as the persuasive burglar:oops:
Hi Torchespot,

Thanks for coming back to me.
I saw a number of pictures of this beast and while it seems very similar, it does not have the distinctive white marking all along the length of the body.

But you have lead me to something else.... what do you think of Rhyssella approximator?

Yours, Gareth

Looks promising - very few records on NBN atlas - 13 - of which 8 are confirmed I think. Can’t find any info on size. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back