• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water Pipit or "littoralis"Rock Pipit , Ayrshire, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Laruslister

This Pipit is confusing me slightly as the very white underparts and obvious white supecilium and upperpart colour are telling me Water Pipit going into summer plumage, but the heavy straking on the underparts make me think "littoralis". Anyone now and tell me why?

Attachments

• IMG_3877.jpg
    IMG_3877.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 80
Can't see why it's not rock pipit: chest/belly ground colour isn't white (compare with undertail-coverts, which does appear to show white), streaking looks right, supercilium not particularly bold.
Yes, I hadn't notice that difference in colour of teh underparts compared to undertail coverts thanks. I think now that although Water can be quite well streaked the streaks are thinner and more well-defined than on this bird which has quite thick and smudgy streaking . The blue-grey upperparts are summer littoralis as they lack any brown hues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back