• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterbird from Plum Island, MA (1 Viewer)

jocateme

I was looking at pictures from my visit to Plum Island MA, USA last year in November 13 and noticed this bird in flight in two of the pics. It's just left of center in the first one and on the right in the second one. There's a Bonaparte's Gull and a Northern Gannet in the photos which help estimate size.

I initially though Common Loon and that's still my most conservative guess, but bill shape (looks shorebird-ish?), posture (tucked neck), and head pattern seem off. Any guesses?

Attachments

• DSCN1047.jpeg
    DSCN1047.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 89
  • DSCN1048.jpeg
    DSCN1048.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 88
I would have to guess common Loon with the neck scrunched in. It does have a weird eye patch and darkness under the neck. The photo isn't good enough to tell for certain. To me, it looks more like a loon than a grebe or anything else. Loon would be the most common one for right offshore in the winter too.

Nice sighting of a northern gannet in the water that close to shore, I don't see that often. Plum Island is my backyard, good to see photos from there...cheers!

I think you're spot on, Andrew! Everything seems to match 2nd-year gannet except perhaps bill shape — which may very well be just an illusion due to the low quality of the pic.

Scott, we saw some gannets flying even closer than that — pretty much over the sand —, which was unexpected and really cool! Plum Island is awesome, I hope I can make it back there soon.

Thank you all for your help!

That sounds very interesting....another Gannet? The neck and head/neck colors do not look like a loon. I don't have much experience watching loons in flight. Wow, I've got to get back out there. It takes 20 minutes to get to the southern end of the island where this probably was.

the angle of the head and neck do look more Gannet than loon- same w/ the black eye patch:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back