• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weavers at Karonga/ Malawi 3rd of March (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

These images of Weavers were shot at the lake shore of Karonga in northern Malawi. I was thinking of Tanganyka Weaver. Scanning the images I'm not so sure anymore.

Thanks for ID to the experts. Sorry for the bad image.

Cheers

Johannes

Attachments

• Weaver_DSC20435.jpg
    Weaver_DSC20435.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Weaver_DSC20414.jpg
    Weaver_DSC20414.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Weaver_DSC20408.jpg
    Weaver_DSC20408.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 11
No experience of this area, and it falls between East Africa and Southern Africa books. So just to get the thread started.

1. Tanzanian Masked Weaver female? - great catch if so (obviously I have no experience of this)

2. Lesser Masked Weaver (see enhanced photo below for eye colouring)

3. Village Weaver.

BF Zambia LMW.jpg

Pic 2 (414): I don't think I have ever seen such a pattern of dark on the mantle/scaps of Lesser Masked; this is of course most likely on Village. Could exposure be making the bill look slimmer and it is in fact Village? I can't quite make out eye colour. As ever, we are trying to ID birds from sub-optimal images...

Pic 1 (435): a dark-eyed immature and again probably Village, with quite yellow underparts

Pic 2 (414): I don't think I have ever seen such a pattern of dark on the mantle/scaps of Lesser Masked; this is of course most likely on Village. Could exposure be making the bill look slimmer and it is in fact Village? I can't quite make out eye colour. As ever, we are trying to ID birds from sub-optimal images...
Actually on looking closer the eye seems red in my adjusted photo. I was thrown by the lemon yellow colour of the OP's photo which is presumably some kind of artefact.

Pic 1 (435): a dark-eyed immature and again probably Village, with quite yellow underparts
Fine by me. I was just hoping for the OP that it was something more interesting.

So: three different Village Weavers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back