• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western USA Road-trip - August (1 Viewer)

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
Would the second half of August be a good time of year for a road-trip going Las Vegas-San Francisco-Los Angeles?

My US birding has been limited to a week in mid-summer in Florida & incidentals seen on 2 skiing trips to Mammoth & Breckenridge, so a lot of the common species will be new to me.

Nice area for birdwatching! I've been dreaming of going there for some time! Any time of the year is good I expect if you're after condors.
For 'easy' California condor, why not try Pinnacles national park? It is on the way from Francisco to Los Angeles. Traditionally quoted as THE best areas to see them.
Some more info:
In addition, I've also sent you a DM detailing where to find some of the most amazing organisms on the planet. Should you be interested, you can use them to see the 10,000+ year old Jurupa oak, near Los Angeles, or the famous Methuselah in the Inyo national forest. Don't repost it, for obvious reasons, though.

Main rule/advice to follow, early morning and late afternoon for birding (should give you up to 6 hours each day), and drive between sites during the hot hours.

Especially since the region you are covering gets really hot at that time every year.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back