• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whaling the tar out of Japanese whalers (1 Viewer)

Katy Penland

This just in from Environmental News Service. Woo-hoo! :bounce:

[size=+1]Whaling Battle Heats Up the Icy Southern Ocean[/size]

SOUTHERN OCEAN, January 9, 2006 (ENS) - A Japanese whaling ship rammed a Greenpeace campaign vessel in the Southern Ocean on Sunday, the group said. The two Greenpeace ships protesting whaling in the Southern Ocean took off in pursuit of the Japanese vessel. At the same time, a Sea Shepherd Conservation Society ship is chasing that Japanese ship too, but opinions differ on whether the two groups are working together to oppose the whalers.

Early Sunday morning local time, the Greenpeace ship MY Arctic Sunrise was rammed by the Nisshin Maru, the factory ship of the Fisheries Agency of Japan whaling fleet.

Speaking from onboard the Arctic Sunrise, the Greenpeace expedition leader Shane Rattenbury said, "There is no way to describe this as anything but a deliberate ramming which placed the safety of our ship and the lives of its crew in severe danger."

The bow of the Arctic Sunrise was damaged by the Japanese factory whaler Nissin Maru. (Photo by Kate Davison courtesy Greenpeace)

Overnight the Nisshin Maru had been offloading accumulated whale meat onto a supply vessel, the Oriental Bluebird. Rattenbury says the Nishan Maru does not have the capacity to store the double quantity of whale meat the Japanese are aiming for in this expedition. Early Sunday morning Greenpeace activists onboard inflatables began to paint the words, "whale meat from sanctuary" on the side of the Oriental Bluebird. Their action in no way impeded the transfer of the meat and the tiny inflatables in no way represented a threat to either vessel.

The Arctic Sunrise was observing the action from over one kilometer away on the opposite side of the supply vessel from the Nisshin Maru.

As the activists completed painting the slogan, the Nisshin Mura suddenly disengaged from the supply vessel coming around a full 360 degrees before making for the Arctic Sunrise and striking it on the port side. The Greenpeace captain tried to pull out of the way of the oncoming whaler.

While the impact has left the Arctic Sunrise "battered and bruised" Rattenbury said it has not disabled the ship, but the crew have had to secure the mast on the fore deck.

Immediately after the ramming the Nisshin Maru began to steam away from the scene, 36 nautical miles inside the Australian Antarctic Territory.

Both the Arctic Sunrise and the Esperanza are in pursuit with every intention of continuing to peacefully protest the hunt, Greenpeace said.

Simultaneously, another campaign ship, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's vessel the Farley Mowat is chasing the Nishan Maru, under the command of Captain Paul Watson, founder and president of Sea Shepherd.

At the same time on Sunday morning, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society’s flagship Farley Mowat arrived on the scene after sailing nearly a month from Melbourne, Australia, headed for the Antarctic Southern Ocean to stop Japanese whalers from killing whales.

The Sea Shepherd vessesl (left) strikes the Japanese supply tanker Oriental Bluebird and deploys a sharp blade Captain Paul Watson calls "the can opener." (Photo courtesy Sea Shepherd Conservation Society)

When Sea Shepherd came upon the whale processing ship Nisshin Maru, the Japanese ship was accompanied by a large supply tanker, the Oriental Bluebird. They were waiting for their harpoon vessels, the catcher ships, to return, so they could load up whale meat for transport back to Japan, Watson says.

Captain Watson says he ordered the Japanese owned Panamanian ship Oriental Bluebird to leave the Antarctic Whale Sanctuary, and when they would not, he deliberately sideswiped them.

"I informed the Oriental Bluebird that I was acting under the authority of the United Nations World Charter for Nature to uphold international conservation regulations prohibiting the slaughter of whales in the Antarctic Whale Sanctuary," he said. "When they refused, we backed up the message by slamming our starboard hull against their starboard hull."

There was no damage apparent to either ship aside from a long scratch along the hull of the Oriental Bluebird caused by a device attached to the Farley Mowat's hull called the "can opener." Watson said, the blow "was meant as a warning to convey the seriousness of our order for them to leave the area and to stop assisting with the illegal slaughter of whales."

With a sharp point, the "can opener" aboard the Sea Shepherd menaces the Oriental Bluebird. (Photo courtesy Sea Shepherd)

After the collision, the Oriental Bluebird, now referred to by the Sea Shepherd crew as "the S.S. Whale Meat," began running with the Farley Mowat in pursuit. Farley Mowat First Officer Alex Cornelissen says, "We are not down here to protest whaling. We are here to uphold international conservation law. This ship is assisting an illegal operation and thus has no business in the whale sanctuary."

On the stern of the Oriental Bluebird are the words "whale meat" painted on the ship by Greenpeace activists yesterday. Says Cornelissen, "Greenpeace tagged the ship yesterday and we keyed it today."

Earlier Sunday morning, the Farley Mowat encountered the Japanese factory ship, the Nissin Maru. The Farley Mowat dispatched three inflatables and a helicopter to catch up with the Nisshin Maru in advance. When the Farley Mowat was less than one mile from the Japanese factory ship, "the whalers began to run at full speed northward," Captain Watson says.

Presently the Farley Mowat is in pursuit. The Farley Mowat is not as fast as the Nisshin Maru but Watson says he "can keep the Japanese on the run for at least the rest of the day to prevent them from transferring any dead whales from the harpoon vessels. Those catcher ships will not kill any whales when they know they cannot reach their mother ship."

On Christmas day (Australian Time), the Farley Mowat intercepted the Nisshin Maru for the first time. During this confrontation, the whaling ship turned and purposefully headed on a collision course with the conservation ship. Captain Watson,ordered his crew to deploy a mooring line, and when the Nisshin Maru saw this, they backed off to avoid their propeller from being fouled.

Captain Watson says the Japanese whaling operation is in violation of many international laws and regulations, including:
  • Violating the Southern Ocean Sanctuary.
  • They are violating the International Whaling Commission (IWC) moratorium on commercial whaling.
  • They are targeting endangered fin and humpback whales that are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).
  • The Japanese are also in violation of the Australian laws protecting the Australian Antarctic Territorial waters.
  • They are violating the IWC moratorium on the use of factory ships to process any protected stock which includes the whales they are hunting – minke and fin whales.
But are these two groups working together to chase the Japanese whalers out of the Southern Ocean, or not? There is a longstanding difference of opinion that has divided Greenpeace and Paul Watson, who was one of the early founders in Vancouver, Canada and was one of the first people to interpose himself between whales and whales.

Paul Watson and a companion place their inflatable between the Russian whaling vessel and the whales. 1974 (Photo courtesy Sea Shepherd)

More recently, he said regarding Greenpeace, "They forgot their original purpose and turned into a big, rich bureaucracy, more interested in fund-raising than in saving lives, so I got fed up and quit ... they're a bunch of wimps." A January 4 ONI NOTE from the United States Office of Naval Intelligence posted on the Sea Shepherd site, says the two groups are not working together. It states, "Supporters of the Japanese projects are implying that Greenpeace and the Sea Shepherd Organization are acting in concert. ONI sees no evidence for this despite the fact that the current high-profile Japanese expedition has drawn the attention of both groups."

Paul Watson founded the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in 1977. (Photo courtesy Sea Shepherd)

“They are down here opposing illegal whaling,” said Captain Watson. “And we are down here opposing illegal whaling. We are down here together, working towards the same objective. I would say we are working together.” "Greenpeace may not be working with the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society but the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is working with Greenpeace," Watson wrote on the Sea Shepherd website on Saturday, burying the hatchet.

And Greenpeace? The ONI Note states, "Greenpeace rejects the claims made by Japan that its members are disregarding the laws of the sea as they trail the Japanese whalers, and denies claims they are working in conjunction with the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society."

Farley Mowat First Officer Alex Cornelissen sees the primary objectives of the two groups to be different. "We are not down here to protest whaling," he said Sunday. "We are here to uphold international conservation law."

Watson says, "The Japanese whalers have attempted to ram both Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd ships yet that is not considered to be of any concern. The Japanese whalers have attacked Greenpeace crew with water cannons and struck Greenpeace crew with poles yet that does not seem to be a concern. The Japanese whalers have warned that if the whalers injure any protestors, it will be the fault of the protestors. This implies a threat, yet there does not seem to be any concern."

"Not one politician," he said," representing a government from the U.S., Australia, Canada, or New Zealand has condemned Japan’s threats or Japan’s actions."

Greenpeace ship MY Esperanza and her inflatables, try to hinder the shooting and eventual transfer of a minke whale by the Yushin Maru No.2 catcher ship. After two and a half hours of running the gauntlet between the harpoon and the whale the activists witnessed the eventual kill of the whale. (Photo by Jeremy Sutton-Hibbert courtesy Greenpeace)

Both groups are indignant and outraged that years of international protest and repeated calls from the International Whaling Commission (IWC) to stop the annual whale hunt have not resulted in a halt to the whaling. Instead, the Japanese government has ordered an increase in the numbers of whales killed. They call it "scientific" or "research," whaling, and there is an exception to the IWC's 20 year old global ban on whaling that permits scientific study, but the use of lethal means when non-lethal means of study exist angers many nations, groups and individuals.

The Fisheries Agency of Japan has more than doubled its planned catch of minke whales to 935, expressed in the official plan as 850 plus or minus 10 percent.

In addition they will target 10 fin whales. Endangered, fin whales are the second largest creatures on Earth, after blue whales. According to the Japanese plan, over the next two years 40 more fin whales will be added to the annual kill along with 50 humpback whales.

Katy Penland said:

Greenpeace vessel rammed and whaling quotas up - I'm not sure what there is to be ecstatic about?

deborah4 said:
Katy Penland said:

Greenpeace vessel rammed and whaling quotas up - I'm not sure what there is to be ecstatic about?

Should we get some armor piercing grenades on board Greenpeace vessels? Heck, we could probably get them for $3 in Irak.

deborah4 said:
Katy Penland said:

Because for the first time in decades, someone is openly opposing whaling in the Southern Ocean Sanctuary. Until now, it's only been diplomatic rhetoric which the whalers have ignored.

The quotas are up because countries who engage in whaling set their own, and quotas go up systematically every year. You're right, that's nothing to cheer about, but that wasn't the reason I was woo-hooing. ;)

Otto McDiesel said:
Should we get some armor piercing grenades on board Greenpeace vessels? Heck, we could probably get them for $3 in Irak.
Go re-read the first sentence. Greenpeace was rammed, not the other way around. Neither organization carries weapons -- well, except the odd "can-opener" on the Sea Shepherd vessel. ;) Watson doesn't allow his crew to carry any kind of personal weapon, either. He once fired a guy for carrying a utility knife on board.

Tim Allwood said:
Cheers Katy

big up to Greenpeace. top people.

I shall be sending this to my MP with a few lines expressing my concern.

Tim
Ta, Tim. When you write, be sure to tell your MP what a fantastic job the UK's IWC Commissioner, Richard Cowan, has done. :t:

Katy Penland said:
Because for the first time in decades, someone is openly opposing whaling in the Southern Ocean Sanctuary. Until now, it's only been diplomatic rhetoric which the whalers have ignored.

The quotas are up because countrie who engage in whaling set their own, and quotas go up systematically every year. You're right, that's nothing to cheer about, but that wasn't the reason I was woo-hooing. ;)

:hi: Apologies Katy: I saw the reports when GPI began this campaign back in November but I didn't realise then that this was the first time they had been active in the SOWS since it was created at in 1994. Used to be very active GP campaigner myself until retiring from 'active service' and have lost touch a bit! Your right, the action is much to be applauded. I can only sense the frustration these guys feel when whale are killed in front of their very eyes :storm:

Last edited:
Otto McDiesel said:

Greenpeace has always been, and continues to be, dedicated to non-violent protest, which is why they have always had my support for one! :clap:

deborah4 said:
Greenpeace has always been, and continues to be, dedicated to non-violent protest, which is why they have always had my support for one! :clap:

I was being sarcastic about your disapointment. I think that Greenpeace did a great job. Their job is to blow a noisy whistle, not to reduce the whaling quotas. In this regard, i see them quite similar to Al Qaeda. They are very efficient at drawing attention to huge problems, they don't solve problems.

Last edited:
Otto McDiesel said:
I was being sarcastic about your disapointment. I think that Greenpeace did a great job. Their job is to blow a noisy whistle, not to reduce the whaling quotas. In this regard, i see them quite similar to Al Qaeda. They are very efficient at drawing attention to huge problems, they don't solve problems.

What a strange connection - I don't think GP or SS would appreciate the comparison ;)

You're quite right about it not being their responsibility to reduce quotas - that job belongs to governments of respective countries - what's more specific to this situation is the flouting of international law prohibiting the slaughter of whales in the SAWS - which also means its our responsibility to put pressure on our own governments to call on the UN for effective enforcement. (as far as the UN is effective in anything ;) )

PS. You misunderstood my first post - my disappointment lies with the perpetrators of the crime, in this instance the Japanese Whalers and Government, and not with those who are dedicating their lives to protecting whales in the Sanctuary.

Last edited:
Pacific News Service

[url="http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=f8a4b8a76bd34dbd64afc8a6c6b7dd11"]http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=f8a4b8a76bd34dbd64afc8a6c6b7dd11[/url]

Japanese Losing Their Appetite for Whale Hunt

News Feature/Commentary, Christopher Reed,
New America Media, Jan 24, 2006

Editor's Note: Japan may use science or tradition to defend its whaling, but whale meat is almost never on the menu in the nation.

TOKYO, Japan--Environmental opponents of Japanese whaling in Antarctica, where recent ocean confrontations have become dangerous, are increasingly reminded of Oscar Wilde's famous dismissal of the tally-ho types who went fox hunting in Britain: "The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable."

Hostility to Japan reached a new level on Jan. 19, when Greenpeace activists dumped a 20-ton, 56-foot fin whale corpse outside the Japanese embassy in Berlin. They were making the point that cadavers like this mammal that had died naturally in the Baltic are available for "scientific research" -- Japan's rationale for its current four-month, southern-sea hunt for the warm-blooded ocean titans.

Up until their whale-dumping protest in Berlin, two boats crewed by Greenpeace activists clashed with Japanese vessels in Antarctic waters for three weeks. Deadly harpoons narrowly missed protesters and vessels collided amid fears of serious injury or death. The New Zealand air force has flown over the site and the Australian government is closely watching.

By continuing whaling in the name of science, Japan avoids the International Whaling Commission's 20-year worldwide ban on the commercial industry. But this season already, the Japanese whaler Nisshin Maru's slaughter of over 125 Antarctic minke whales, with a target of over 900 in all, has caused 17 nations to demand that it cease its bloody business. Tokyo has declined.

Although Norway and Iceland have also done some whaling, Japan earns conservationists' extra wrath because of what, say activists, is the dubious nature of another of its claims (rather than racism, which some Japanese have suggested). Japanese like to eat whale flesh, the argument from Tokyo goes, and have done so for more than 1,000 years. Unfortunately for its dwindling enthusiasts, these arguments are easily disproved.

These days, almost no Japanese under the age of 60 eats whale meat; it was only consumed on a large scale during shortages after the end of the Pacific War in 1945. Where it is available today, customers are almost entirely elitist gourmets with plenty of money -- or misguided nationalists.

Undisputed research by a British opinion-poll firm in 1999 found only 1 percent of Japanese acknowledged eating "kujira no niku" -- whale meat -- even once a month, and 61 percent said the last time they ate it was as children. My own telephone inquiries at three leading supermarket chains found not one selling it these days, even canned, and an Internet search of gourmet restaurants showed it to be rarer than lamb chops in this mainly fish-eating nation.

One restaurant in Shibuya, Tokyo, called Kujiraya -- "the whale place" -- offered five styles of the meat at nearly $60 per person, and individual steaks at $15 each. In the Shinjuku district at a restaurant called Taruichi, its owner Takashi Sato acknowledged that his whale meat dishes were continuing a tradition of his father's, but lost money. Only in the southern island of Kyushu, Japan's historic whaling location, were restaurants that offered the dish commonplace.

A dish available by mail order is whale "bacon" -- the meat is salted, smoked and thinly cut -- but that can cost about $150 a pound, way above the choicest beef steak. Eating it raw, sashimi style, costs $5 for one paper-thin slice smaller than a visiting card.

McDonald's in Japan, where fish hamburgers are popular, need fear no competition in taste from the flesh of Balaenopterae. But an element of nationalism can creep in. Some Japanese, encouraged by the government and its Institute of Cetacean Research (ICR) in Tokyo, which is also the pro-whaling public relations office, regard opponents as foreign bullies.

Taruichi's Sato, for instance, proclaimed that opposition to Japanese whaling was "American culinary imperialism," although the United States was not among the 17 protesting nations headed by Brazil. Sato added: "Telling the Japanese not to hunt whales is like telling the British to stop drinking tea, or denying the French their pate. This is how you start a war."

Apart from culinary or cultural reasons, the ICR's "science" explanation for killing Antarctic minkes is vague; the World Wildlife Fund describes it as "sham." The ICR also admits that the whale meat supplying restaurants is left over from research -- and last year, 20 percent of the 4,000-tonne haul, half this year's expected catch, had to be frozen and stored unused.

One ICR research finding might offer a sounder scientific reason for Japan's unpopular insistence on continuing to kill whales. The minkes, it states, eat "three to five times" the marine life caught for human consumption, including popular Japanese fish dishes such as anchovy, Pacific saury, cod and walleye pollock, all "commercially important species."

But as Greenpeace campaigner John Frizell has noted: "As long as opponents can be presented as international bullies, the Japanese can keep the controversy going." Perhaps, but not the customers coming.

PNS contributor Christopher Reed, a former correspondent for the London Guardian, lives in Japan.

Copyright © 2004 Pacific News Service

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back