• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What a gull?? NW Poland 11.01.2024 (1 Viewer)

Ryszard

Hi
Request to identify a gull.
Photos from NW Poland 11.01.2024

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2102.jpg
    DSCN2102.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN2109.JPG
    DSCN2109.JPG
    519.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN2113.JPG
    DSCN2113.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN2138.JPG
    DSCN2138.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN2149.JPG
    DSCN2149.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN2158.JPG
    DSCN2158.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 105
I photographed the bird because it is visible and is completely different from the others. it has a dark back, a black beak and black on p5 and even on p4. it's just different, that's why I asked this question

Ok. Ryszard, this is a 3rd cycle (3rd winter, 4cy) gull as seen by the broad white tips to secondaries and primaries. A 3rd cycle YLG doesn't show plain brown greater coverts and this extensive streaking on head. The bird also has two mirrors in each wingtip (including a p9 mirror), again not shown by 3c YLG. Bill colour is very variable although it's indeed not common in 3rd cycle HG to show an all or mostly dark bill. Almost all 3rd cycle HG have white rumps/uppertail feathers. A YLG usually shows just reminescences of black in tail, usually broken band with just some feathers with black tips or even doesn't show black in tail at all. This bird has a solid tail band as most 3c HG have.

Last edited:
thanks again lou. I included this seagull here for identification because it was unusual and I secretly hoped that it might be a seagull from, for example, the other side of the world.🌝 I just have to keep looking🌝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back