• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.
I used to live in an old terraced cottage with coal fires - the bedroom had its own fireplace and chimney. One morning my ex-wife and I were woken up to a western jackdaw flapping around the room, distributing black soot everywhere. We'd had a cowl fitted to the main chimney, as otherwise they'd just drop sticks down until it was completely blocked in an attempt to build a nest.
We upgraded to a newer house and I dug a pond - one day we had two male southern hawker dragonflies which were involved in a territorial dispute chasing each other around the living room.
On our travels, best we had was a common kingfisher fly into a houseboat on the Dal Lake, Kashmir, and perch on the arm of the chintzy sofa right in front of us, before flying off again. Perhaps less welcome was another chimney-borne visitor, in Haputale, Sri Lanka - what I'm fairly certain was a black rat scurried around on the hearth or a while, then disappeared back into the fireplace. I believe this is my only sighting of black rat though, so in terms of bird and mammal ticks it's more significant than the kingfisher :).

Well, there is the occasional elephant in the room but one of the most exiting animals i had in my house was a scorpion in my boot when i lived in Crete.
My adoptive dad was in the Libyan desert in WW2, and his advice to me before I went travelling to the Middle East was always to shake my boots out before I put them on.
I'm going to Crete shortly myself, so your post is a timely reminder to heed his advice!

A long time ago I opened the basement door and out flew a large black bird (black color, don't know what sort of bird it was), I chased it around the house before I was able to corner it and let it out the balcony door. I suspect the bird got into the basement by falling down the chimney. In my younger years I used to train squirrels to come into the house and help themselves to a bowl of nuts, one squirrel came in through the front door, walked down the stairs into the family room, grabbed a nut and went out the back door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back