• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What can I do for a cardinal couple with no nest? (Tree came down.) (1 Viewer)

smeggy

United States
Hello all, I live in Southern NJ and we regulary feed the wild birds outback. We have many different types of birds that come to grab a snack daily including a lovely cardinal couple and more recently a couple of their offspring (last year's babies are all grown up). Sadly today a tree that the cardinal couple has been nesting in for many years was cut down. A giant branch broke halfway and was dangling, we had to have it removed so it wouldn't hit the house or fence. We were hoping that they could just take the one rotted branch but when the tree guys were working they said the tree looked like the tree was dying and would have to come down for safety reasons. I feel absolutely terrible and was wondering what we can possibly do to help the birdies out. We do have a couple wooden bird nests on the property but none of the birds around seem to use them. I guess they prefer nesting in the trees. Anyway, I read online that it could take them about 2 weeks to build a new nest. Was just wondering in the meantime where will they sleep? Is there anything I can do? I am worried about them.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Tough circumstances smeggy but they might move on. Is there any possible way you can move the nest to a nearby tree?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Tough circumstances smeggy but they might move on. Is there any possible way you can move the nest to a nearby tree?
Thank you for the warm welcomes and quick response. Unfortunately the tree was smothered in ivy and other vines and I was never able to see the actual nest. We would just see them swoop in & out of it all the time in the same spot so i'm fairly certain that is the tree they were nesting in. It looks like the tree removal people collected to grind up or blew away most of the debris on the ground but I will take a look and see if I can spot the nest anywhere. Most of the trees nearby are huge and the branches are way out of my reach. If found the nest and place it in some tall shrubbery that is growing underneath the trees in that same area would that work? I wonder how they will find it.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I would leave things as they are. Had the tree fallen down, the nest would have been lost. The birds will find a new roost and it is likely they will build a new nest in one of the other trees.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I would leave things as they are. Had the tree fallen down, the nest would have been lost. The birds will find a new roost and it is likely they will build a new nest in one of the other trees.
Yes I suppose you are right. We tried but weren't able to locate the nest anyway. The only thing I can think to do that might help is make sure there is plenty of food in the feeder and bird bath so they can concentrate their energy on finding a new spot to build a nest.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. As you suggested in your last post, having plenty of food and water available is the best you can do. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back