• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do Pied Currawongs eat? (1 Viewer)

Hello, and thanks for reading my post.

I currently feed some local Magpies with a mix of high-quality mince and Wombaroo insectivore mix. I would like to know what Currawongs eat in the wild, so I can feed them as well. I've heard they eat fruits, but I'm not sure.

- Heath

Pied Currawongs feed on a variety of foods including small lizards, insects, caterpillars and berries. They also take a large number of small and young birds, especially around urban areas where suitable cover is scarce. Larger prey, up to the size of a young possum, is also taken, and birds will occasionally hunt as a group. Prey may be stored in a 'larder' (hung on a hook or in a tree fork or crevice) and either eaten straight away or, in the case of larger prey, over a period of time.

Pied Currawongs are omnivorous birds, meaning they feed on both plant and animal matter. They mainly eat fruits, berries, insects, frogs, lizards, small birds, and eggs. They also feed on carrion, such as dead animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back