• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What smartphone? (1 Viewer)

I have been using Samsung A5 for four years (firstly with a Zeiss 65 and now with Swaro 85) and it continues to give me good results. It has a 16MP rear camera, whereas many only have 12MP and that does make a difference. Sadly there is no slow motion option.
I have a home-made adaptor which is a deep rubber lens cover (from the Ziess 65) super-glued on to a cheap silicon case. I also have a hard plastic off the shelf adaptor, but I prefer my own as the rubber allows for quick use, without the risk of moving the scope (the hard plastic one is a very tight fit and needs a shove to fix in place). Lots of images on my blog were mostly taken with this phone, scope and adaptor set up: http://birdingdad.blogspot.com/
Here is a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker I saw recently as an example.

LSW_070421.jpg

I have tried two other phones recently:
Iphone 6s- great phone and worked well on the whole, but struggled with auto settings making pics over-exposed (although there is probably a fix to this)
Samsung S7 Edge - again, great phone, but the lower resolution on rear camera was noticeable compared with the A5.

Cheers, Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back