• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear - Portugal, Castro Verde, August 11th 2023 (1 Viewer)

Rich139

United Kingdom
Hi all,

Any help with this wheatear appreciated... apologies for the distant heat hazy pics, these are all I managed.

I thought it was a northern at first glance but now not so sure it isn't a WBEW!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2 (2).jpeg
    2 (2).jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2 (3).jpeg
    2 (3).jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 2 (1).jpeg
    2 (1).jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 66
Hello Rich,

difficult bird for me and I hoped for others to comment.

Anyway, your second picture (nr 3) seems to show the typical tail pattern for a Black eared Wheatear. The black reaches higher up on the outer tail feathers and therefore the white is cutting in on the closed tail.
Yes, single picture effects and artefacts have to be considered but I get a "natural" impression (=that is how it looks like).

This reminds me of my own observations many yeares ago in Spain: there were birds that looked different to Northern Wheatears and there were birds where I thought: "is this a Northern? But when I saw them flying, the typical tail pattern for a BEW was easily seen.

Conclusion? If forced, I would opt for a Western Black eared Wheatear, but better wait for more comments.
Thanks from me too!

Supercilium is what's confusing me, though I think thats just a feature thats exaggerated by the quality of the image- for the reasons mentioned above I also agree with western black eared wheatear (western based on range).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back