• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see hoopoes, European bee-eater and European roller in Europe in September? (1 Viewer)

aleskoehler

Brazil
I will be in Europe in September, specifically in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and the Czech Republic. I would like to know if it is possible to observe hoopoes (Upupa epops), European bee-eater (Merops apiaster) and European roller (Coracias garrulus) in any of these countries in September. If possible, would anyone have any tips on places to observe these species?

As Dalat says. Hortobagy might be the best place with a chance on all 3 of those, but Roller migrates in September so the sooner, the better.
Spain and Turkey would be quite a bit easier for all 3 species but it's not impossible to see them in September. You'll have to go and target good areas though, especially for Roller.

I will be in Europe in September, specifically in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and the Czech Republic. I would like to know if it is possible to observe hoopoes (Upupa epops), European bee-eater (Merops apiaster) and European roller (Coracias garrulus) in any of these countries in September. If possible, would anyone have any tips on places to observe these species?

Try to find spots on migration pathways, that would be my bet. In these latitudes they are still frequently seen on the move at least until end September. Colonies/nests are often left much earlier, although these might be worth a check,for laggards and favourable habitat?

Writing from my experience in central Italy, where all three species are fairly common breeding species, I would say that Bee-eater is the last to leave and I have recorded sightings until around early October, but that's during migration, our local ones disappear at the end of August, as with the Hoopoes. As for Roller it's pretty difficult to see them after the young have fledged (usually end of July), as they leave the nesting sites and you need luck to chance upon one. I remember seeing one in Sardinia at the end of September a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back