• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whinchat or Stonechat? West Suffolk, yesterday. (1 Viewer)

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
I noticed this bird with naked eye, and an obvious adult male Stonechat, and assumed it was a female Stonechat.

On a quick check with bins, I thought it was an immature male Stonechat.

Later checking in the scope I began to think it was an immature Whinchat.

Tail pattern not seen unfortunately. Always a bit distant.

IMG_9862.jpeg IMG_9867.jpeg

IMG_9870.jpeg IMG_9860.jpeg

View attachment IMG_9864.mov

Seems like the consensus is Stonechat. Which is what I thought at first. I should have stuck rather than twisted. 🃏 😅
It's always worth considering the split though ... autumn, rarer stonechats and all that ...

I looked closely at the tail pic - you'd see the tail sides if they were there for Whinchat, no? Some Stonechats show more pronounced eyebrows (Eastern birds and some other random ones).

EDIT: Oh, and the dark throat in some pics is diagnostic of Stonechat, no?

Autumn female Stonechat can be confusing, but I don't think I've ever seen a supercilium this marked in any Stonechat before

Some Stonechats show more pronounced eyebrows (Eastern birds and some other random ones).
By 'Eastern' I mean 'eastern', just for clarity - I believe that European Stonechats from the east of the range can show much more pronounced supercilium compared to most normal British birds. Sorry, I don't have a source for this.

By 'Eastern' I mean 'eastern', just for clarity - I believe that European Stonechats from the east of the range can show much more pronounced supercilium compared to most normal British birds. Sorry, I don't have a source for this.
I think I may have read that too.
I guess it is just at the extreme end of variation of European Stonechat. This individual certainly a chimera in the field and on film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back