• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat, SA (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
In a really random spot halfway between Abha and Riyadh we camped next to some scattered acacias in otherwise really empty desert and there were four birds - they were very active so the photos can be of different individuals. At first I thought Lesser Whitethroat, but they made consistent 2-syllable calls very unlike any Lesser Whitethroat I have ever met. I listened to Desert and Hume's recordings but they both do mostly longer calls - I simply have not found a recording that would match these calls.

View attachment birdnet_mobile_3345310760_recording_376.wav
View attachment birdnet_mobile_3345310760_recording_382.wav

kMG_5889.JPGkMG_5895.JPGkMG_5925.JPGkMG_5967.JPGkMG_6064.JPGkMG_6071.JPGkMG_6078.JPGkMG_6103.JPG

Well they all look distinctly LW, can’t comment on the “regional calls”, other than they may not be documented.
SA is quite big and sparsely populated as you know.

Cheers

Welcome to the wacky world of wintering Lesser Whitethroats from the Arabian Peninsular!

Back in the day, these would have been ascribed to 'Desert Lesser Whitethroat' and that is what we used in the UAE before being put right by Svensson et al.

Now Desert Lesser Whitethroat is used for a group that breeds in the deserts of Western China and is not recorded anywhere close to Arabia.

The birds that are recorded here are supposed to be 'halimodendri' either clade 1 or clade 2 - the problem is they look (and more importantly sound) nothing like the central Asian breeding LW, as as written in another thread, those DNA tested in western Europe as clade 1 and clade 2 look more like 'normal' LW than the small ones inhabiting the Arabian deserts in the winter. The lowland breeding LW I have seen in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan didn't remind me at all of these birds in a rather subjective comparison. From others it appears that the same 'type' can also be found in the deserts of NW India.

As to what they are? - sorry no idea.

You can try...

However plenty have been seen previously, but the experts taxonomic opinion has just not attuned with the observers.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back