• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

why were the habicht 8x30 GA discontinued? (1 Viewer)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hello,

From my online reading it looks like the GA versions of the habicht 8x30 were discountied 20+ years ago? I was wondering if we knew why that specific model was singled out since we have two versions of the 42mm version of the GA?

Also from what I understand there's military or government officials orders able to be placed for habicht binoculars so it looks like they were only discontinued for commercial sale?

Personally speaking, I love the 10x40 ga that I have and would love a smaller wider pair but the leatherette version doesn't appeal to me at all. While I would buy the 10x30 ga in a heartbeat. I even emailed Swarovski suggesting they bring it back and I'm sure the customer service rep rolled their eyes internally. :p

From memory, some BFers have gotten GA model 8x30s from dealers. Maybe send an inquiry to JvD?

If it doesn't have to be a GA Habicht, there are other olive green armoured military type 8x30 binoculars - Hensoldts and so on. They may not be as good optically as a modern Habicht, but ought to be capable enough. Most of the folks buying that type of binocular are not looking for ultimate optical performance anyway.

Thank you for the tip. I hadn't considered inquiring with dealers since I don't believe I've bought through one before.

I was considering maybe Steiners or some other military bino indeed if I really have to scratch the low power porro itch. As it stands, the wish/fantasy was really for another smaller habicht in ga version. The micro-contrast details, superb pastel colors presentation, clarity, and depth of focus are all just so addicting.

I've also been eyeing, as a fun pair, the hinode 6x30-b plus binoculars which I think can be ordered from Japan for around $250+. The GA model is more about standing up to a literal lifetime of use + protection on investment, as I see it. Plus there's something oddly satisfying about the armoring. I don't feel afraid to use it.

From memory, some BFers have gotten GA model 8x30s from dealers. Maybe send an inquiry to JvD?

You might be thinking of the two or three 8x30 Habicht CF GAs that Jan van Daalen of the House of Outdoor & Optics in Maarssen, Netherlands had custom made with the newest coatings back in 2016 when I suggested here that such a thing could be done by switching the prism/eyepiece housings and objective tubes between a 10x40 CF GA and the still available 8x30 IF GA. I got one of those and at least one of the others went to another BF member. Jan first approached Swarovski about making some custom pairs of 8x30 CF GAs that way since they had all the parts needed, but they were not interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back