• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (13 Viewers)

First Red Kite of the year at Cults from NW in a long rapid glide ESE to roughly the area of Inchgarth Res. at 11a.m. Buzzard sightings have increased recently though not in any numbers, usually singles. Birdsong still on and off on account of the low temps, I think. Mainly Blackbird, Sparrow and Chaffinch so far. Odd visits by Coal Tit and Blue Tit etc. Last week there were up to 300 Pinkfeet moving NE on a couple of days.

Cults 08:45 (Summer Time) this morning an unexpected fast moving compact flock of about 70 Redwing low over the building going roughly WSW, the first I have seen here since December. Other recent highlights include Kestrel (now rare compared to when I was starting out in the 70s), and singing Song Thrush (ditto). 4 Buzzard yesterday and a couple this morning. Wood Pigeon, Sparrow and Blue Tit well advanced in nesting. Anxiously awaiting Short-toed Eagle, but the feeling is that disappointment awaits this year, again. Will have to content myself with Kites and occasional Osprey.

First House Martin of the spring, 5 minutes ago over its usual hunting spot around the trees at the back of South Avenue, Cults, Aberdeen. somewhat earlier than they used to appear in the centre of town in previous years. Other recent visitors are Goldcrest (twice), Coal Tit, and Pied Wagtail male. A dark, medium sized raptor yesterday was unIDed, as the flight action was not typical of Kite or Buzzard (no bins, eyes only). First I reckoned Kite, as the wings seemed kinked, but on its return it flapped rather like a Buzzard, though slightly faster than normal. Probably the latter.

Trip over the Cairn o'Mount in a howling gale, nothing seen at all, same on the return down the Netherly Road apart from corvids and a Herring Gull. Odd find in a pond of flood water not far from the Todhead lighthouse was a pair of Egyptian Geese.
Hi Burnie, your Egyptian Geese are a very good record. There have only been a few sightings so far in NE Scotland and it's actually a description species for the region, with various other wildfowl species & hybrids obviously needing to be excluded. Did you get any photos or would you be able to do a description? Where exactly were they?

Opposite Lower Crowhillock farm, not far from Kinneff church with a pair of African Geese?

Thanks Burnie. Based on the company they were keeping and the Google image, perhaps more likely of local origin than pioneers from the feral population further south. Useful to know though.

09:05 Cults Lovely morning, as I gazed with shielded eyes into the bright sunshine. Everything normal, Blue Tits, Pigeon and sparrows, the usual Wood Pigeon as a dark shape at the top of a particular tree from which it regularly sings, when I heard the plaintive 'pee-oo' of a Buzzard. This continued for a minute or so as I looked at the sky to try and spot it. Couldn't see it, and then the 'Wood Pigeon' suddenly took off going west and suddenly revealed itself by its flight as a Jay. This is only the 2nd time in 23 years I've seen Jay in Aberdeen, the previous time many years ago when 3 passed my house in Union Grove going west, a record that rather startled me at the time. IIRC that was around about October. So No. 63 is in the bag!

Thanks Burnie. Based on the company they were keeping and the Google image, perhaps more likely of local origin than pioneers from the feral population further south. Useful to know though.
I thought that might be the case, I have family in Norfolk and they are well established on the Broads, I think it was in the 1980's when I first remember them, those African Geese(don't know their latin name) are also more common, no doubt they might spread around as well.

Well, well. After years of seeing no Jays in Aberdeen itself this morning at Cults at 10.04 4 Jays arrived in a sort of loose, well-spaced flock, flying in, in no hurry, from the N and moving S over my building, calling as they went. Where had they come from? Unlikely to be spring migrants, I'm sure.

Last edited:
3 Jays east this time at Cults at c. 09:30 this morning roughly parallel with South Avenue. There wasn't even a hint of them last year, but they seem to be about the area this year. Previously I had read somewhere that 'there are plenty of Jays on Deeside', but I'd always thought they would be further inland for some reason.

Last edited:
2 probable White Wagtail this morning at Cults (noticeable black cap with clear distinction from neat light-mushroom-grey back). Also 2 Pied Wagtails around, though those are regulars. House Martin have shot up from 1 yesterday to an exciting 4 today. No Swallows or Sand Martins so far. Also seen Sparrowhawk and all the usual regulars. Collared Dove has returned this week. But skies still largely empty, with a dearth of things moving, except Common and Herring Gulls and the odd Rook and Jackdaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back