• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Warbler or Maybe Chiffchaff (1 Viewer)

Baldoon57

Scotland
Would I be right in thinking this is juvenile Willow Warbler, any replies appreciated

Attachments

• Resize_20230918_214633_3833.jpg
    Resize_20230918_214633_3833.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 73
Hello,

do you have more pictures?

Assuming, it was was taken some weeks ago ( many Chiffchaffs look more mature/adult like at least in Germany by now), your bird gives me mixed feelings:

Coloration seems better for a Chiffchaff:
  • untidy and patchy coloration with a grayish back
  • Head pattern with subdued supercilium and uniform ear-coverts
  • But will this bird get a broad and dark eye stripe when fully grown? Yes, this came into my mind, slightly favoring Willow Warbler.
  • Smallish dainty bill with only a small yellowish, not orange bill base. Yes, thanks Lou again!
I am not so sure about legs: can I detect bright orangey yellow colours among the neeedles???

But your bird seems to have a long pp, and a quite short p2 in relation to the wing tip. But before I say that this makes it a Willow Warbler and comment about still growing primaries in such a young bird (can you give date and location please?), I better wait for experienced ringers and BF members you know. Thanks!

Hello,

do you have more pictures?

Assuming, it was was taken some weeks ago ( many Chiffchaffs look more mature/adult like at least in Germany by now), your bird gives me mixed feelings:

Coloration seems better for a Chiffchaff:
  • untidy and patchy coloration with a grayish back
  • Head pattern with subdued supercilium and uniform ear-coverts
  • But will this bird get a broad and dark eye stripe when fully grown? Yes, this came into my mind, slightly favoring Willow Warbler.
  • Smallish dainty bill with only a small yellowish, not orange bill base. Yes, thanks Lou again!
I am not so sure about legs: can I detect bright orangey yellow colours among the neeedles???

But your bird seems to have a long pp, and a quite short p2 in relation to the wing tip. But before I say that this makes it a Willow Warbler and comment about still growing primaries in such a young bird (can you give date and location please?), I better wait for experienced ringers and BF members you know. Thanks!
Picture was on July 17th 2023, I've added another picture with slightly different angle, and was took near Newton Stewart, Scotland

Attachments

• Resize_20230920_184903_3426.jpg
    Resize_20230920_184903_3426.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back