• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Workaround to fixing the scale reflection in moths? (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
When I'm doing night photography, flash is my favourite and go-to tool. However it has an issue with moths and butterflies, and anything with scales, where using it at a straight angle (i.e. the best viewing angle for features and the species in general), the scales will reflect the flash. I've seen people use macro flash at night without this issue, so I'm trying to work out the secret here.

Here's some relevant recent examples. One is fine on one side, with a bit of the issue on the far wing. The second is completely obscured by these reflecting scales and the pattern and colouration is effectively lost. I find the solution tends to be taking the photo at a less straight angle (since reflection angle seems to be involved), but that involves some awkward shooting positions, and with some highly reflective species that isn't good enough.

Attachments

• less problem.jpg
    less problem.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 18
  • problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 17
Since the angle of incidence usually equals the angle of reflection, it might be useful to not use a flash unit mounted on the camera's hotshoe, or the one built into the camera, but one that is offset to one side. Better even, a rail with the camera in the middle and a synchronized flash unit on either side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back