• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

X-T5 (2 Viewers)

Ignatius

Naturwissenschaftliches Nudelaug
Palestine
Well ... the X-T5 has now been officially presented and will be available in most markets from November 17th. DPR and Flemming Bo Jensen have already published their first impressions, which to my mind are more realistic and reliable than the terrible fanboy drivel at the presentation today.

I will very likely order one in the next few days to upgrade from my beloved X-T3, and send my X-T2 away for IR conversion to replace my converted X-Pro1.

Anyone else here interested in the X-T5 with its big sensor and new improved AF for bird/wildlife/nature photography?

I am very interested in the X-H2 (non S), which is the same sensor. The high pixel density and reasonable size of the 100-400 gets an awful lot of pixels on any given duck. More than my OM-1. Kind of waiting to see more AF reviews and maybe rent one over the holidays to try it out.

Good luck with the X-T5.

Cheers,

Russ

Hah! Some proper in-depth reports and reviews regarding the AF are what I have decided to wait for, before finally pulling the trigger. But so far it looks to me as though the X-T5 is pretty much the improvement on my X-T3 that the 4 was not.

Why is it the X-H2 for you, rather than the X-T5/

Ignatius,

XH-2 for a few reasons. Based on my experience with my Nikon Df, PASM controls are better for birding. Also, the grip on the XH-2 looks better suited for a 100-400 lens. Finally, I am a sucker for a deck mounted display.

XT-5 is waaaay sexier, however. Ideally, I’d have both :cool:.

Cheers,

Russ

Thanks for your answer Russ. I have since read many many reviews and comparisons of the latest X-line cameras with the competition, mainly the R6 II from Canon and the A7 IV from Sony. This has led me to the conclusion that waiting for Fuji to pull their finger out as far as AF/animal detection/tracking goes is a waste of time, and I am now going to sell up my Fuji X equipment and move over to a Sony A7 IV with the FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS and the 1.4 TC. The rest of the lenses will follow bit by bit, also from Sigma and Tamron.

I am very interested in the X-H2 (non S), which is the same sensor. The high pixel density and reasonable size of the 100-400 gets an awful lot of pixels on any given duck. More than my OM-1. Kind of waiting to see more AF reviews and maybe rent one over the holidays to try it out.

Good luck with the X-T5.

Cheers,

Russ
If you haven't already made the decision Russ, take a look at Mike Riley's channel on Youtube. His conclusion was that if you were looking for a wildlife camera the X-H2S was the way to go. I trialed both, as far as wildlife was concerned I found the X-H2S locked on to the target faster and stayed on it better. When I examined photos, the X-H2 was more detailed but I really had to look deep to find the difference. I was surprised that the difference was not greater. Now I take pictures of macro insects and birds and your mileage may vary as they say but after trialing both, I bought the X-H2S.
Only down side, culling photos!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back