• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-browed warblers? Madrid, Spain (2 Viewers)

la_ravachol

Spain
A lesson here in why you should always carry binoculars in your bag.

I was reading in the park today when I noticed three small birds hopping around and calling in the trees next to me. My first impression of them was that they looked a bit like firecrests, with bold eyebrow and wing bar, but noticed they were too large and more drab (didn't actually notice any crest, for example) and their behaviour just like warblers, very active, calling frequently, flight unlike firecrest - shape also more consistent with warbler. Voice consisted mostly of non-distinct high pitched calls with infrequent more distinct call that I would say most closely resembled a coal tit.

I did consider yellow-browed but have no experience of this species and was getting frustrated of trying to ID without bins and told myself I was seeing what I wanted to see, and so returned to my book. Something I now really regret as a yellow-browed was in fact reported today at another park in the city not too far away (maddening!)

I'm going to return for another look, properly equipped, in the morning, but am I barking up the wrong tree here?? (I almost hope I am...)

No,

I hope you find them again tomorrow and confirm them as YBW.

Good luck!

Wasnt there a YBW staying some days/wintering in a spanish supermarket some years ago?

A lesson here in why you should always carry binoculars in your bag.

I was reading in the park today when I noticed three small birds hopping around and calling in the trees next to me. My first impression of them was that they looked a bit like firecrests, with bold eyebrow and wing bar, but noticed they were too large and more drab (didn't actually notice any crest, for example) and their behaviour just like warblers, very active, calling frequently, flight unlike firecrest - shape also more consistent with warbler. Voice consisted mostly of non-distinct high pitched calls with infrequent more distinct call that I would say most closely resembled a coal tit.

I did consider yellow-browed but have no experience of this species and was getting frustrated of trying to ID without bins and told myself I was seeing what I wanted to see, and so returned to my book. Something I now really regret as a yellow-browed was in fact reported today at another park in the city not too far away (maddening!)

I'm going to return for another look, properly equipped, in the morning, but am I barking up the wrong tree here?? (I almost hope I am...)
I suspect YBW not infrequently overwinters in Spanish parks, I’ve certainly had them in the Canary Islands during mid-Winter.👍

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back