• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Legged Gull or Herring Gull? / Croatia, Istria, Rovinj (1 Viewer)

Alasdair1907

Serbia
Photographed in the beginning of October

After reading about large gulls for two days, I still have no idea how to tell the difference between adult Yellow Legged Gull and Herring Gull with yellow legs.

Juding by the size of the wings, darker gray top and bright yellow legs, I would say Yellow Legged Gull, but I'm still not sure. I suppose this could also be Lesser Black Backed Gull.

Attachments

• Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 96
A Yellow Legged Gull looks good and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Photographed in the beginning of October

After reading about large gulls for two days, I still have no idea how to tell the difference between adult Yellow Legged Gull and Herring Gull with yellow legs.

Juding by the size of the wings, darker gray top and bright yellow legs, I would say Yellow Legged Gull, but I'm still not sure. I suppose this could also be Lesser Black Backed Gull.
The red orbital ring would rule out Herring Gull.

The red orbital ring would rule out Herring Gull.
no, it would not. many baltic Herring Gulls do have red orbitals. there is actually no single feature which is diagnostic, separating some yellow-legged HGs from YLG. but summing up traits like primary pattern (which of course is not visible here), moult score and head pattern together with very yellow legs during october and structural traits helps identifying them.

no, it would not. many baltic Herring Gulls do have red orbitals. there is actually no single feature which is diagnostic, separating some yellow-legged HGs from YLG. but summing up traits like primary pattern (which of course is not visible here), moult score and head pattern together with very yellow legs during october and structural traits helps identifying them.
Interesting Lou, is that not now considered a reliable feature, albeit taken in conjunction with other features? The literature I have, admittedly not extensive, seems consistent in saying YLG orbital is red vs. Herring orbital being described as anything from fleshy-coloured to orangey-red. I must confess I've not seen a Herring with an obviously red orbital. I'll have to look more closely!

Interesting Lou, is that not now considered a reliable feature, albeit taken in conjunction with other features? The literature I have, admittedly not extensive, seems consistent in saying YLG orbital is red vs. Herring orbital being described as anything from fleshy-coloured to orangey-red. I must confess I've not seen a Herring with an obviously red orbital. I'll have to look more closely!
Red orbitals are frequently found in baltic HG populations, often even in combination with yellow legs. They usually don't occure in Great Britain, that's why you didn't see any. In Poland and Sweden, I have seen quite some of them. And they are pure Herring Gulls, no hybrids.

Red orbitals are frequently found in baltic HG populations, often even in combination with yellow legs. They usually don't occure in Great Britain, that's why you didn't see any. In Poland and Sweden, I have seen quite some of them. And they are pure Herring Gulls, no hybrids.
Cheers Lou, that would explain it.

For my own education - would it still be the case that the OP picture is most likely to be YLG? If not, then I don't think I'll ever be able to say for certain that I've seen a YLG!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back