• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zimbabwe Birds (1 Viewer)

Dave Kennedy

Poor old Zimbabwe! Not a single mention until now. So I thought it only fair to state that in April, at Matetse on the R Zambezi between Victoria Falls and the Botswana border, I found my very first White-faced Scops Owl, after over 30 years of trying.

So well done, Zimbabwe.

And I might just mention that the same area, in 2004, gave me a Western Banded Snake Eagle, another long-term target.

Last edited:
Hi Dave

After 14 years birding in Zim I've still to see a Finfoot - but then I have never been to Matetse!

When Bob leaves and the lights come on, I must give it another go.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Dave

After 14 years birding in Zim I've still to see a Finfoot - but then I have never been to Matetse!

When Bob leaves and the lights come on, I must give it another go.

Cheers

Pete

Pete,
Apologies for not responding to your post. I was overseas in UK, and I have only just found your post now. The funny thing about the latest finfoot sighting was the Zambezi was pumping, it was at the height of the flood, and frankly, it was quite terrifying watching the power of the river as it tore past Matetsi. The bird had been sheltering, as finfoots do, in a clump of tangled vegetation up against the shore at Matetsi's East Lodge. When we came along it must have been startled, for it leapt into the river, and the last we saw of the finfoot it was disappearing towards Victoria Falls at around 50 mph. I only hope it had the sense to start flapping before it reached the Falls!
When the lights do come on, I hope you return - it's fantastic.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back