• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom Lens with 2X extender vs Astro Reflectors vs Digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

I am thinking of doing a high magnification video (around 40-50X or around 2000-2500mm eq.). If the condition is right (good atmospheric condition etc), I am wondering if someone could give some ideas about what would be the better choices between Zoom Lens with 2X extender vs Astro Reflectors vs Digiscoping?

For background, I have a canon 100-400ii with 2X that I used with the olympus em1iii (eq 1600m) but the image quality is less impressive. For some reason I the image quality I got from the EF100-400 (without extender) is worse than the one I got from panasonic 100-400mm. Not sure why.

Then I use the sony 200-600 with 2X with the a6600 (1.5x crop factor) and get about 1800mm eq. I think this option is probably acceptable for video but not so good for photography.

Then I bought the C90 (FL1250mm, f14) to use with the olympus em1iii. Again, I think it is probably acceptable for video but not ok for photo as it is rather soft and washout color.

I have not try the digiscoping before so I cannot compare the result with the lens. The real plus of the sony 200-600 with 2X is that it is still be able to do autofocus.

I think that a manual focus lens such as 800mm f5.6 with 2X converter with 4/3 camera would give the best result. But I don't have this lens. This is about the biggest size that I could lug around. So bigger refractor (100-120mm) would be out of my range.

Could anyone share experience of the digiscoping with high quality scope compared to the lens with teleconverter?

Thank you so much,

Passakorn

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back