• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscope and Coolpix 5700 (1 Viewer)

J_K

Hi All
I use a coolpix 5700 with converters, but would like more pulling power. My question is , have any members used this camera succesfully with a scope. I've scowered the forum and found mostly negative views. I understand you can use it in conjunction with a maxview from scopetronics,If anybody has used this setup any comments would be most welcome . I don't want to go out and buy an expensive scope to find out it's unsuitable, or maybe I should just forget the Idea and trade in the coolpix for a D100 ?

J_K

Don't think there's a way...

To do it with the 5700. I have one, and the lens just isn't conducive to it. Too large a diameter and to much movement.

J_K said:
Hi All
I use a coolpix 5700 with converters, but would like more pulling power. My question is , have any members used this camera succesfully with a scope. I've scowered the forum and found mostly negative views. I understand you can use it in conjunction with a maxview from scopetronics,If anybody has used this setup any comments would be most welcome . I don't want to go out and buy an expensive scope to find out it's unsuitable, or maybe I should just forget the Idea and trade in the coolpix for a D100 ?

J_K

The CP5700 needs exceptionally long eye relief from the eye piece. I'm not sure how much, but its probably 30mm or more as compared to the 20mm or so typical of the CP99X/4500 and CP5000. I'd get some kind of assurance about what kind of performance to expect before trying the Scopetronix adapter. It may work well for all I know, but I'd want some specifics first. Either that or a testimonial from someone who has used the same setup.

It is just more difficult to get the deeper lens assembly of the CP5700 to work well for digiscoping since most eyepieces have less than 30mm of eye relief.

J_K said:
Hi All

J_K

Hi Jay,

i use my CP 5700 with a Pentax spotting scope PF-80-ED with an eyepiece Celeron X-CEL 25 mm. I have obtained excellent results with just little vignetting and excellent precision. I use a Orion SteadyPix SLR Camera mount for fixed my CP 5700 to the eyepiece. You take off the rubber protector on your eyepiece. You must set the camera in macro mode and moved the zoom slowly until you see the yellow flower appears (beginning macro mode f=12.7mm). At this position vignetting is lowest. You slide the camera on the mounting braket at the nearest you can. (the eyepiece diameter will allow you to lean against the eyepiece and zoom lens). After that , just find a good subject, adjust spotting scope focus in first and the camera autofocus will made the fine focus. Don't forget you can't moved the zoom after the eyepiece is against the lens. You must have a good tripod. I use a manfrotto 475B with a joystich head manfrotto 322RC2 that allow you to move rapidly to the subject. I hope this can help you. I joint you two original pictures in example.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 245
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back