• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Mobbed Buzzard (1 Viewer)

steve_nova

On my way to work this Friday Morning (driving car) I was passing the Blagdon estate traveling north to join the A1 when I spotted (couldn't miss it really as it was quite low) a Buzzard being mobbed by a single Carrion Crow.
What was surprising (to me at least) was the nonchalant way the Bigger bird was flying along with it's smaller aggressor in tow. I think the best way to describe it's flight was floppy, almost labored as if it new it was in command and couldn't give a fig about the Crow.
I saw similar behavior about two months ago with a female Sparrow hawk being pursued by a much larger entourage of Rooks and a couple of Jackdaws.
Normal behaviour I presume?

Mobbing seems to be quite a complex behaviour - but I don't think the bird mobbed ever feels truely threatened by the mobbers - more it's an inconvenience. There may be several other reasons why birds mob predators, but - superficially - they mob to indicate there is a predator in the vicinity. Corvids - often the most voiciferous mobbers - usually react in a totally different way when a hunting falcon is above them. I've flushed rooks from the rough grass besides sheep netting with my feet, so scared have they been after a peregrine has killed in the vicinity. Yet I've seen crows virtually attacking a peregrine when it's landed in a tree. They seem to know when a raptor is a threat and when it's not.

'Spar' and perhaps other posters, will know the best way to see what wild falcons (it doesn't work so well with shortwings for obvious reasons) are in the area is to put a tame falcon on the wing. Often resident falcons will come to mob it.

saluki

I watched an adult male Kestrel being mobbed by a lot of House Martins. Suddenly the falcon stuck out a foot, shut its wings..and came away with a house martin. The rest cleared off sharpish.

Yes, complex it is; one of the best indicators of an 'unusual' raptor nearby is the reaction of the corvids! (and their 'specific?' calls).

Unfortunately (or not) they become used to; eg. Goshawks, so that even Ravens will ignore them if it is one of the 'local' birds 'just going about it's business'.

But, (again locally) they go ballistic if it is, say, a ringtail harrier is passing through.

Mobbing seems to still occur, if there is a food source close to, or if it is near a 'defended' (nesting?) area of the mobbing species.

Andy.

I reckon I can id Sparrowhawk, Hobby, Kestrel and Peregrine on the calls made by in particular starlings and hirundines....

.....oh and Ospreys clear the beach of gulls in a way that only thay and Bonxies can.... or I guess WT eagle, but not had the opportunity to do that experiment.

Spar said:
I have wittnessed a wild peregrine female kill a captive tiececel in it`s location.Saluki do you think this mobbing behaviour is "learnt or instinctive behaviour"
It was not in the breeding season or at a nesting location it was on the coast in winter.
Lol Spar

Resident raptors are renowned for 'taking out' any competitors that they can.

Andy.

(Edited for carp spelling)

Jane Turner said:
I reckon I can id Sparrowhawk, Hobby, Kestrel and Peregrine on the calls made by in particular starlings and hirundines....

.....oh and Ospreys clear the beach of gulls in a way that only thay and Bonxies can.... or I guess WT eagle, but not had the opportunity to do that experiment.

No doubt, Jane; calls seem to be very specific to the danger faced.

Andy.

There was an adult male Peregrine dead on the beach here. I didn't see what happened, but suspect the resident pair nailed it. It was bleeding from the nostrils but otherwise intact.

Jane Turner said:
There was an adult male Peregrine dead on the beach here. I didn't see what happened, but suspect the resident pair nailed it. It was bleeding from the nostrils but otherwise intact.

Adult birds, having survived the first (dangerous) year, are not likely to make an error of judgement........

Andy.

That was my logic.... there was a fair old scrap for the pristine corpse.... Institute for marine ecology got the liver and spleen and the skin is in Liverpool Museum...

I've seen young birds hit the sea.... but can't see an adult male makeing the same mistake.

"I have wittnessed a wild peregrine female kill a captive tiececel in it`s location.Saluki do you think this mobbing behaviour is "learnt or instinctive behaviour"
It was not in the breeding season or at a nesting location it was on the coast in winter".

Do you mean the tiercel was on it's block Spar? The main problem with wild peregrines, before the advent of telemetry, was that they would sometimes chase the the falconers bird away when he was flying it, in which case the falconer might lose his bird. Actually killing another peregrine must be quite unusual when both birds are free or it would be difficult to ever fly peregrines in areas where there are wild birds, though I'm sure (as Jane's experience suggests) it does sometimes happen. A bird on a block would, of course, be at a great disadvantage, and couldn't flee even if it wanted to.

saluki

Last edited:
Dear Steve,

I often see Buzzards on my patch and they are mobbed on a regular basis by the local Rooks, and my observations are similar to yours. They are rather laid back about it and just carry on in a lazy flying manner.

The Merlin also seems untroubled. It sits on a post with Meadow Pipits buzzing round like flies.

Interestingly when the Sparowhawk comes through the garden the birds seem to be able to differentiate between hunting mode and après lunch stroll.

Regards.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back