• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Westhay, and starling related enquiry (1 Viewer)

gindog

United Kingdom
does anyone know of any good b n b at or near to westhay please? having seen the starlings again this year on autumn watch I am thinking of visiting the area to look about generally and see the starlings for myself in the evening.

I can go midweek. I suspect the TV camera does not do this event justice. Anyone been there and seen it and heard it?

cheers

dave

I have been to Westhay a couple of times to see the Starlings. It is absolutely stunning.

As to B&Bs I can't give a recommend, but there are several towns in the vicinity - Bridgewater for example - which are a short drive away. Steart point is worth a visit while you are there.

As Simon King found out the starlings can be in a couple of places. It is worth checking http://www.somersetbirds.uko2.co.uk/index.htm for info.

cheers Robin.

I saw that in the absence of live starlings yesterday it was a case of "Here are some we filmed earlier (2 years earlier)." Such is life.

Is this a nightly spectacle in the area as far as anyone knows, allowing for the fact they may choose different sites to roost at?

dave

Is this a nightly spectacle in the area as far as anyone knows

Yes. From about now to Jan/Feb. Once the starlings have chosen a roost site I believe that they will use it for a while and then move on (perhaps a local can clarify this). That is probably why the Autumnwatch team have decided to move.

There can often be quite a large crowd at weekends and in the school holidays and it is worth getting there early to park up. Westhay and Shapwick are both good sites anyway for a spot of birding.

cheers Robin.

I saw that in the absence of live starlings yesterday it was a case of "Here are some we filmed earlier (2 years earlier)." Such is life.

Is this a nightly spectacle in the area as far as anyone knows, allowing for the fact they may choose different sites to roost at?

dave
The roosts can fluctuate between sites.
At the moment they seem to favour Mere Heath and Shapwick.the numbers are building up nicely now.

Thank you for the input.

It will be a 3 hour drive for me so looking to stop over I think. Maybe able to catch the pm downset and am rise, both spectacles are talked of on sites as being worth a look at.

cheers

dave

I stayed here a few weeks back and it was pretty good, clean comfortable and modern. (£35 pppn from memory)

The only two things that stop me giving the place an unequivocal recommendation would be the chicken farm across the road which can be a bit niffy at times and that all the bedrooms have a set of french doors but no means of having a small window open at night.

The Panborough Inn is a good bet for dinner, or there are loads of places back in Glastonbury where you can eat. There's also a pub about 400yds down the road (from the B&B) but not sure I'd recommend the food, beer was OK.

Thank you for the input.

It will be a 3 hour drive for me so looking to stop over I think. Maybe able to catch the pm downset and am rise, both spectacles are talked of on sites as being worth a look at.

cheers

dave

There has been a Purple Heron at Mere Heath for some weeks now,not sure if it`s still there but might be worth a look at the reedbed next to the lagoon.
Whooper Swans at Decoy Lake

Stopingat Glastonbury Travelodge Sunday 16 December. Visiting Westhay and any other good sites that Sunday or maybe Monday and then to Sliombridge on the Monday pm maybe.

Anyone going to be there fancy a coffee meet?

pm me, cheers.

dave

Stopingat Glastonbury Travelodge Sunday 16 December. Visiting Westhay and any other good sites that Sunday or maybe Monday and then to Sliombridge on the Monday pm maybe.

Anyone going to be there fancy a coffee meet?

pm me, cheers.

dave

Glossy Ibis currently at Greylake,not too far away from Shapwick.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back