• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

State of Birding at Ding Darling (1 Viewer)

RFM

Have hear various rumours on the web that, over the past few years, the number annd variety of birds has diminished due to adverse water conditions both natural and man-made.

Has anybody got update experience of the numbers etc.

Thanks
RFM-England

I spent half a day at Ding Darling last month and was pretty impressed by the number and variety of birds. I didn't have time to bird the trails, but from the wildlife drive I enjoyed good views of very tame Roseate Spoonbill, Marbled Godwit etc.

Obviously from just one visit I can not comment if bird diversity/ number has decreased in the last few years.

I've never actually been there, partly because it's a bit out of the way, but also because all I hear from people who have gone is grief about traffic, congestion, disturbance, etc. It's a good spot for general tourists who like the outdoors.

Plus, there isn't much there that can't be found easier/better/more abundantly elsewhere. I've seen a video and the range and numbers of birds looked fairly typical of a randomly-chosen Florida wetland, quite modest for a supposed hot-spot. 'Course, it will vary according to time of year, and it might just have been a crap video........

I've never actually been there, partly because it's a bit out of the way, but also because all I hear from people who have gone is grief about traffic, congestion, disturbance, etc. It's a good spot for general tourists who like the outdoors.

Plus, there isn't much there that can't be found easier/better/more abundantly elsewhere. I've seen a video and the range and numbers of birds looked fairly typical of a randomly-chosen Florida wetland, quite modest for a supposed hot-spot. 'Course, it will vary according to time of year, and it might just have been a crap video........

I agree that most species I saw at Ding were also seen at other reserves (eg Merrit Island). Its also a long drive from Orlando and once you think your almost there you have to negotiate Fort Myers and associated traffic.
I visited Cork Screw Swamp several years ago and part of me did wish I had gone there again instead of Ding Darling.

Ding Darling was still good but probably not worth driving long distance for.

I also enjoyed Corkscrew and wish I had another day there.

I spent a day this March at Ding Darling and I was really happy with the number of the birds I was seeing, both in species and individuals. Compared to NE Ohio it was great. I was talking with one of the local volunteers and he was commenting about how terrible the birding had been with low numbers of individuals. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I was there mid-week and the traffic wasn't bad. Someone told me it is much worse on the weekends.

Be aware that Ding Darling is closed on Fridays.

I have been to Florida in the Winter for at least the last 6 years and have been to Ding Darling each of those years. I would say lately the bird population is way down. The big traffic congestion/delay is getting across the birdge to Sanibel Island.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back