• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Please (1 Viewer)

robinm

Can anyone identify this for me please. The photo was taken last weekend at Dungeness RSPB. Size was about 3 inches at most from head to tail.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 334
jayhunter said:
I think it is a sand lizard.
I did wonder about sand lizard, but I thought it was a bit small and there were no markings to speak of. Also, although I believe there is a programme which may reintroduce the species I thought it was extinct in Kent.

The only other thing I could think of was a smooth or common newt. But didn't know if it was close to a pond or water, and I couldn't make out if it's feet were webbed.

It was quite close to one of the pits at Dungeness. If you don't know the area it is shingle with large pits full of water. Here is another picture where you can see the feet more clearly.

Attachments

• unkown2.jpg
    unkown2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 258
jayhunter said:
Feet are not webbed but it definitely looks more like a common newt than a lizard.
I think common newt is probably right.

Now I think about it I had a common/smooth newt in the garden earlier this year that was ided in BF. Apparently outside the breeding season they adopt a non-aquatic form which looks like a lizard. I think that is what I have photographed here.

Thanks for you help.

robinm said:
I did wonder about sand lizard, but I thought it was a bit small and there were no markings to speak of. Also, although I believe there is a programme which may reintroduce the species I thought it was extinct in Kent.

I suspect this is a common newt as per other contributors but it is a very unusual leucistic individual. I once saw a gorgeous female reed bunting demonstrating this condition (part-way ablinistic) at Pennington Flash. Blondes really are attractive - especially in reed buntings. ;)

It is definitely a common newt (Triturus vulgaris); this somehow fragile appearance with these big bulging eyes is typical newt, and the colour size and structure exclude other newts (well perhaps not Triturus helveticus, but that species I have only seen in spring in the water and there all newt species look different from their "land forms")

Ian and Joern, thanks. I think we have a consensus on common newt.

I agree on the colour - it was stunning. The photo is a good representation of real life and is not an effect.

Cheers for that Robin, took me back fifty years to sitting on the banks of a pond with a newting net made from a bamboo pole piece of wire and a bit of my mum's stocking.

jayhunter said:
Cheers for that Robin, took me back fifty years to sitting on the banks of a pond with a newting net made from a bamboo pole piece of wire and a bit of my mum's stocking.
You too ;)

Cheers and thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back