• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

secondhand scope (1 Viewer)

paddyenglishman

Semper in excretia sumus; solum profundum variat.

Hi
I am a new member and i have no experience with scopes or cameras . i have been trying to decide which scope to purchase . i have set a budget thAT WOULD BUY ME A NEW NIKON RA111 , but i have been offered a secondhand Swarovski AT 80 , it has a couple of dints and bangs , and comes with a 20x 60x lens .I would be interested to see if this is a worthwhile buy , can i digiscope with this scope , or will i find it impossible to connect a newer camera to this scope .
I'd love to hear your opinions in this matter

Hi
I am a new member and i have no experience with scopes or cameras . i have been trying to decide which scope to purchase . i have set a budget thAT WOULD BUY ME A NEW NIKON RA111 , but i have been offered a secondhand Swarovski AT 80 , it has a couple of dints and bangs , and comes with a 20x 60x lens .I would be interested to see if this is a worthwhile buy , can i digiscope with this scope , or will i find it impossible to connect a newer camera to this scope .

Hiya Paddy E, I´m pretty sure you can digi with it, Swaro themselves do adapters, check out their website. Check out the prices of Swaro AT on the websites (Ace Cameras, Warehouse Express, In-Focus), I think there´s only one retailer in Ireland that sell them but they´re pretty expensive. Swaro do a more expensive version called the HD80 (basically better glass), if that´s the one you´ve been offered it might be a real bargain. Make sure you can check the scope out, though, especially if it´s had a few knocks. Swaro customer care is superb, so if it´s been damaged, you might be able to get it at a good price, and then send it off to Swaro in Austria for a service. Best of Luck, tell us what you choose!

Swarovski caters to digiscopers. See http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=48786, which is out of date as regards camera models, but the principles are unchanged. The adapters are expensive but can be gotten secondhand, or you can try a third-party adapter. I've often heard it said that digiscoping really brings out the difference between HD and non-HD glass, so caveat emptor.

Steve

Hi

I have digiscoped with that model and a Fuji F31D with sucess using the srb griturn swing away adapter.

well , i chose the secondhand swarovski AT80Hd and i am very pleased with it.So all i need to do now is buy a new camera, my trusty old olympus zoom camera c-450 bit the just as i was working out how to try digiscoping .oh well now i have an excuse to buy a camera, now where do i get the funds!!!

well , i chose the secondhand swarovski AT80Hd and i am very pleased with it.So all i need to do now is buy a new camera, my trusty old olympus zoom camera c-450 bit the just as i was working out how to try digiscoping .oh well now i have an excuse to buy a camera, now where do i get the funds!!!

Hope you enjoy your new scope and good luck with the camera hunt. You will find al ot of info about compact good for digiscoping here Fuji 31d and Nikon 5100 seem very popular and not too expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back