• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Discovery. Good, Bad or Indifferent ? (1 Viewer)

andy70437

I`m still mulling over what binoculars to get. A long eye relief is necessary for me. This particular model has good eye relief but how do the optical qualities compare to similar priced binoculars ?
Any and all opinions welcome !
Thanks,
Andy

Hi,
Pressume you are talking about the ones that are about £139.

I recently bought a pair of 8 x 42 and am very pleased with them. The usual rule applies of trying before you buy. I compared these with several others and was impressed. Yes I could have got better but the extra expense was not justified in terms of improved performance.

My scope is an old opticron too. May not look the part but both bins and scope work for me and that is what counts.

I`m still mulling over what binoculars to get. A long eye relief is necessary for me. This particular model has good eye relief but how do the optical qualities compare to similar priced binoculars ?
Any and all opinions welcome !
Thanks,
Andy
I bought a pair of 8x42 Discoveries for my partner and she is very pleased with them. She wears glasses and has no problems using them. The specification is good and, although they are not especially light, they are quite a bit shorter than most 8x42 binoculars.

I have looked through them once or twice and they seem bright and sharp. The only thing I noticed is that there is a little bit more slackness in the focusing than I am used to with my Swift HHS but they were twice the price. Otherwise they are fine.

I think the Opticron Discovery is basically the same binocular as the Viking Vistron which the RSPB sells, with minor cosmetic differences. The RSPB seem to sell loads of them.

Ron

I think the Opticron Discovery is basically the same binocular as the Viking Vistron which the RSPB sells, with minor cosmetic differences. The RSPB seem to sell loads of them.

Your right Ron. The difference, as far as I know is that the Opticrons have Phase Coating which sharpens the image.

Rob

Imagic TGA 8x42

Well, Santa brought me the imagic TGA 8x42 and I must say they are a really great pair of binoculars ! I know some will say they have their limitations but for a great price too from Sherwoods I think they can`t be beaten !
Thanks Santa !

Good choice. Off the top of my head, I'd say the TGA was, oh... 28.5714286% better, optically, than the Discovery. Which is pretty good for an extra £20.

I bought my wife a pair of Discovery WP PC 10x42 dirrect from Opticron and they are brilliant highly recommended. There customer service is very helpful and they gave me free delivery and a 14 day refund if she didn't like them.
Hope this helps
Ian

I bought mine a couple of years ago from In Focus as backup for my Zeiss's. They have out lasted them and are still a reliable second pair to a set of Leica's I recently was given for being a good boy!

The only problems I have had with them are the eye cups which I recommend you tape down on a permanent basis. Opticron will willingly replace the cups time and time again, but save yourself the hassle and realise ''you get what you pay for''!

Optically? Well, all I can say is try them and find out for yourself....there are worse in the shops for a lot more money.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back