• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bosque de Apache (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

I'm seriously considering a trip there next year. I've been on the friendsofthebosque.org website. Looks like Jan/Feb is a good time to see the Sandhill Cranes.

I'm still in the eary planning stages of this trip and I have a few questions....

How far is the NWR from the airport in ABQ? What is the drive time?

Does anyone know when during Jan or Feb is the best time to see the most birds? Or does it really matter?

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive motel near the NWR. Nothing fancy, just clean and safe.

Any tips and/or suggestions are welcomed.

PONYRCR,
We just got back from a fantastic visit to the Bosque. Seems like it was about an hour and a half from Albuquerque - we stopped to look at a few birds on the way. Couldn't help it.

We stayed in Socorro (75 miles from Albuquerque) which is about 20 minutes (further) to the Bosque. There is a new Holiday Inn Express that is reasonable and an older Best Western next door that is even more reasonable. Try dinner at Frank & Lupes Mexican Restuarant.

The winter birds start showing up around Nov 1 and stay until early spring so either Jan or Feb should be about the same I'd think. Maybe someone more familiar with the park will confirm or correct that. Last weekend there were:
Sandhill Cranes - 6,750
Canada Geese - 80
"Light" Geese (Snow & Ross) - 60,000
Aplomado Falcon - 1

During the winter you can also make a day trip from Albuquerque up to the Sandia Crest for 3 species of Rosy Finches. Last week the flocks were between 5 and 25 birds. Later in the winter they have pretty good size flocks in the hundreds.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip.

I am also planning a trip sometime. I have not been to the Bosque, but have been to Socorro for their annual StarParty in October.
There is a B&B-ranch about 7 miles east called Figgs Ranch (or something like that). We were planning to go last year but had to cancel at the last minute due to winter storm, and the ranch was very nice to work with by canceling our reservations without cost.
I was told that the cranes start arriving in early November, start leaving late Feb or early March.

edj

I'm taking Matt_RTH's advice and going to the Salton Sea.

The Los Angeles Audubon has a field trip to the Salton Sea around the end of January. I've signed up for that.

Ironically travel and time wise it's less time to fly to NM and drive to Socorro then it is to drive to the Salton Sea from my house. LOL Money wise it is less expensive to go to the Salton Sea, plus I don't have to get on an airplane. I'm not a good flyer, it scares me to death.

I'd still like to go to Bosque de Apache, maybe I'll still get there next year. Perhaps in Nov. for the Crane Festival.

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips.

I've wanted to go to Bosque for quite some time now. I think i'll go sometime between Jan-Feb 2009. Not sure if I'll fly to Albuquerque and rent a car to Socorro or just drive from Santa Rosa. I understand that it can get freezingly cold in the early morning hours; after all, isn't this high desert?

I am also planning a trip sometime. I have not been to the Bosque, but have been to Socorro for their annual StarParty in October.
There is a B&B-ranch about 7 miles east called Figgs Ranch (or something like that). We were planning to go last year but had to cancel at the last minute due to winter storm, and the ranch was very nice to work with by canceling our reservations without cost.
I was told that the cranes start arriving in early November, start leaving late Feb or early March.

edj

I just got back from the Bosque- cranes and snow geese everywhere-a true place of magic.
The high point was walking the dogs in am at the campground N of the bosque, and seeing thousands of cranes fly over.

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back