• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SWAROVSKI NEW vs. old PICS/ comparison (1 Viewer)

308CAL

SWAROVSKI NEU vs. old PICS/ comparison

WEll my friend got the 7x42 NEU with easy to clean coatings

I like the Neu better.
The material is tackier for better grip
slightly better ergomics do to the top finger groove
Glass coatings on the NEU are green not purple (the pre-new but still swarobright)..optics slightly different in color...NEW is slightly better imo...crisper, slighter less warm, maybe a couple points brighter...

not worth hundreds in price but worth 100-200$ imo

swarocomparison1.jpg

swarocomparison2.jpg

NEW GREEN COATINGS
OLD = PURPLE

see below

swarocomparison3.jpg

swarocomparison4.jpg

swarocomparison5.jpg

swarocomparison6.jpg

swarocomparison7.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, the coatings on my very late pre NEU 7X42 are green. They must have changed the coatings before the ergonomics.

Paul

So, at least some "pre-Neu" but "post-Swarobright" coatings are NOT the same, although both have Swarobright? Is that the case?

Along these same lines: Despite what seems like a consensus here that the SLC Neu and the EL have the same coatings/glass, I've noticed a significant difference in the view (perhaps more than what is noted above) the time or two that I've compared them (in 8x30/32). (I wish I had been more thorough.)

It brings into question just how often and how significantly these "tweaks" are made.

Perhaps all apples aren't apples? Hmmmm ...

APS

I got to talk with Clay Taylor of Swarovski last weekend. He said the company makes frequent small improvements to the coatings without telling anyone. He also said that they will roll out a more significant change (most recently the "Easy to Clean" coating) some time before announcing it, to give time for the old version to clear through the retail pipeline. So you might have an "improved" model without knowing it. I asked him if there was any chance of compiling a list of all the changes made, correlated with serial numbers, and he basically said "No way". The Austrians don't even tell their own reps what they're doing.

Steve

old vs new

308Cal,

I'm rather surprised by your declaration here. How much time were you able to spend with your friend's 7x42SLC-Neu in comparing it to your 7x42SLC Swarobright?

The reason I ask is that I have played with the Neu body (although in 10x) locally and don't find the ergonomics better than the older SLC at all. Since no one locally has the 7x42Neu I can't comment on the optics but everything I've heard indicates that old or Neu with Swarobright you really should be able to detect performance differences.

What am I missing?

-Bob

Has anyone compared the EL to the SLC 7x42 in lowlight? who won out? the exit pupil of the 7x42 or the higher magnification of the EL 8.5x42?

Very nice pictures both the newer and older version look great ,I think it is all a matter of personal preferance on ergonomics and they are both excellent optics, I do like the green color body better though.

Quote: 'WEll my friend got the 7x42 NEU with easy to clean coatings

I like the Neu better.
The material is tackier for better grip
slightly better ergomics do to the top finger groove
Glass coatings on the NEU are green not purple (the pre-new but still swarobright)..optics slightly different in color...NEW is slightly better imo...crisper, slighter less warm, maybe a couple points brighter...'

Is there any difference when you place a piece of white paper behind the eyepieces of the different pairs and look through the objective lenses? Difference in cast I mean. If they are slightly less warm (green instead of magenta)? then the paper viewed through the new binoculars with the new coatings might look a little brighter (whiter).
Consistent coatings are a real pain in the a**e to achieve. The mass producers do a real good job to keep them all the same. Typically wastage is very high.

andytyle

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back