• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Black Vulture (1 Viewer)

Oregonian

My father-in-law is approaching eighty years old, and he has seen all the vultures (old world and new world) but one - the Black Vulture (the old world one, of course). We are thinking of a trip to visit our daughter living in Galacia, and were considering dragging the old guy along so he could finish his vulture list. We are thinking of the first week of March, but when would be the best time and place to find one? He can't hike like he could twenty years ago, so we are a little limited.

Cheers,

I'd reckon that various sites in Mid-Spain would suit. Unfortunately most of my site guides are out in Spain so I can't work out the nearest possible site, but a trip to Extremadura should do the trick. You should see them easily enough from public roads around Caceres and in the Monfrague area. However, some sites nearer Madrid might be closer - I'll dig around and come back to you if anywhere's a lot closer,

John

Having thought about it little more you might like to investgate possibilities in the Sierra Gredos, El Pardo, Segovia & Sierra de Guadarrama - the latter probably being the best place to look. I don't have further details to hand but I hope this gives you some ideas. I'm sure that if you googled "Sierra de Guadarrama + Black Vulture" you'd get more details. Good luck,
John

As John suggests if you could get down to the Sierra de Gredos (decent Parador there), then a further 2-2.5 hour drive will get you to Monfrague which has probably the highest density of breeding Black Vultures in the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back