• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In & Out (1 Viewer)

ommani

Hi all.

I have a Nikon D50 followed by a nafdx2 Teleplus adaptor followed by a Sigma 170-500 lens.

In general not too bad; other than the pain in the arse bit where it always extends to the 500 when pointing down.

One problem I do have is this. When I try and take a picture of a bird in a tree, shrub, grass etc it just doesn't happen. It will not take a picture. If it does it will probably be of the branch in front or behind! It will just zoom in and out till the cows come home! I've tried it on all my modes: Single, Dynamic and nearest, but nothing.

I've missed so many birds lately it really is begining to p*** me off!

Can anyone HELP!!!

One problem I do have is this. When I try and take a picture of a bird in a tree, shrub, grass etc it just doesn't happen. It will not take a picture. If it does it will probably be of the branch in front or behind! It will just zoom in and out till the cows come home! I've tried it on all my modes: Single, Dynamic and nearest, but nothing.

The best advice it to take the converter off and use the lens on it's own. This lens does not tend to work well with tc's, usually the focus will hunt wildly (as you describe) and fail to lock on. The only way to use the lens with the tc would be to switch to manual focus.

i have the same combination and tele-converter do not work in auto focus,but it will in manual.the results may not be very good with x2 converter if you want to use one try 1.4.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back