• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D70s+sigma 50-500+which telecon for full AF (1 Viewer)

hello again, could someone give me information for a 1.4 telecon which would allow full AF on a D70s when coupled with a Sigma 50-500.
As my D70s manual says AF is only effective if an aperature of f5.6 or faster is used, with the 50-500 its max aperature is F4.6 at 50mm (a ok) at 500mm its F6.3 (would AF stillwork) and if a 1.4 telecon was used (if possible) with the lens at 500mm and being F6.3 + a 1.4 telecon which would make it a F8 (not to sure).
Thanks again David

hello again, could someone give me information for a 1.4 telecon which would allow full AF on a D70s when coupled with a Sigma 50-500.
As my D70s manual says AF is only effective if an aperature of f5.6 or faster is used, with the 50-500 its max aperature is F4.6 at 50mm (a ok) at 500mm its F6.3 (would AF stillwork) and if a 1.4 telecon was used (if possible) with the lens at 500mm and being F6.3 + a 1.4 telecon which would make it a F8 (not to sure).
Thanks again David

I used a Kenko Pro 300 (?) 1.4X with my D70 and Tamron 200-500 which is also f6.3 at 500mm. AF still worked on bright days, but was very slow. Image quality suffered so much though that I never really bothered with the converter. Distant birds were brought closer but too much detail was lost.

hello david ive use dthe bigma on my 350d and 40d with a vivitar 1.4tc and af works only on the outer points ie. left and right on the 350d and 40d .
image IQ is still usable so long as you use the rule not to crop to much
moorhen.jpg

pheasent-1.jpg

hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back