• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Lesvos trip report (1 Viewer)

Excellent. Thanks for that. I am now sourcing as much info and reading up as much as possible before the spring trip to Lesvos.

Hopefully, you or anyone may be able to help me. Being used to the much valued Ordnance Survey maps in this country, I am always annoyed at how poor maps are when I go abroad for accuracy but mainly for the lack of detail laden small scale stuff like our Landranger series. So can anyone suggest a good small scale map showing as much detail as possible for Lesvos?

Last edited:
There are two relatively decent maps for LEsvos, and when used together provide all the detail I need.

Road Edition no. 212 1:70,000
Freytag & Berndt 1: 75,000

I'm sure you'll be able to source at least one of these before you go, but the Road Edition map is radily available on the island (shops, hotels) and costs c. 5 Euros.

A lot of people use printed off satellites from Google Earth - they can be very useful if you know the specific areas you are visiting.

Andrew - you REALLY should see Comperia comperiana while you are in Lesvos - it is getting to be one of the rarest ORchids in Europe now, and Lesvos is probably the best place in the world to see it. Not only that but it is truly beautiful.

If you are going in May let me know and I'll furnish you some information.

Sean

Cheers Steve and Sean.

I shall try to get the Freytag map and print off 'Google Earths' of each site I will visit.

I have PM'ed you Sean about the Comperia comperiana Orchid.

We were at a site on Lesvos last year (beg/mid-May) and to while away the time until his target bird appeared, one naturalist was intent on taking photos of a few 'going over' orchids which he told us were very scarce. He went to great lengths to show us the few specimens there. Stupidly, we didn't keep a note of the name. Maybe it was this one.

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Could you PM me with the site and I'll tell you whether it was or not!

Comperiana would not normally be going over at the beginning of May unless it was an exceptionally early season.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back