• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porro Prism Bonoculars for Horse Race Announcing! (1 Viewer)

craig braddick

Hi People:

I posted a few months ago and got some ideas - having now experimented I have decided Porro Prisms are still the best for me. I have gone through two pairs of Oberwerk bins (one prism and one roof) and have not been that impressed with the quality.

I do have a 7X50 pair of Swift Skipper Bins but the right eye piece is squared off when you hold them to the light from a few inches from your eyes, but the left hand lens is fine. If that could be sorted out I would be reasonably happy with them.

So, I am scouting out a pair of at least 8-10X50 Porro Prism Binoculars. Does anyone have any suggestions of ones to look for and can explain why they like them. Also I do not want a pair with the screw/pop out lenses at the viewing ends which might point togetting an older model.

The Swift Saratoga's I know are an older model I have heard good things about but am not sure of the magnification. Also The Swift Audubon has always interested me but there seems to be so many versions of them.

ALso interested if anyone can reccomend any of the Nikon or Pentax Binoculars and am certainly open to suggestions of other brands.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:
Hi People:

I posted a few months ago and got some ideas - having now experimented I have decided Porro Prisms are still the best for me. I have gone through two pairs of Oberwerk bins (one prism and one roof) and have not been that impressed with the quality.

I do have a 7X50 pair of Swift Skipper Bins but the right eye piece is squared off when you hold them to the light from a few inches from your eyes, but the left hand lens is fine. If that could be sorted out I would be reasonably happy with them.

So, I am scouting out a pair of at least 8-10X50 Porro Prism Binoculars. Does anyone have any suggestions of ones to look for and can explain why they like them.

The Swift Saratoga's I know are an older model I have heard good things about but am not sure of the magnification. Also The Swift Audubon has always interested me but there seems to be so many versions of them.

ALso interested if anyone can reccomend any of the Nikon or Pentax Binoculars and am certainly open to suggestions of other brands.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks

Craig

the 8x40 mk 11 saratogas are very good fov 488 ft at 1000 yds , very like mini audubons . i had two pairs and sold them to buy nikon e11s.

Last edited:
Craig,
I have the older Swift Audubon 804 and the newer Audubon 820 ED binocular. The latter is lighter in weight and less bulky. I used it extensively on a recent trip to Florida and found the 820 ED to be an outstanding binocular: the 8.5 magnification is very useful, the wide field of view is wonderful for quickly spotting birds, and the clear, bright, sharp view leaves nothing to be desired. This is a very easy binocular to use and does not get in your way by preventing you from enjoying hours of birding. Good luck in your quest.
Dennis

Try Swift Saratogas which were originally marketed for horse racing and sell relatively cheaply on e bay. They are 8x40 or 8x42. I have 3 pairs (See posts under Swift Historians). I prefer the ones which are older or newer than the mark II's because they are less bulky but all are optically excellent and well constructed. They seem to be similar to Audubons but fetch much less money on e bay. They are supposed to have bak4 prisms but I am led to believe by more knowlegable forum members that some do not. In the case of my examples, only the oldest pair has twist up eye relief. The others have roll down rubber eye cups.

I would go for the Saratoga MKII. Has a huge FOV and although maybe not as sharp as the original, a great pair of binoculars.
You could get the Skippers re collimated?

Get a Nikon 8 x 30 EII, if you can find one. They are still around. Lightweight, bright and sharp with a 445' FOV. Very user friendly.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back