• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Speyside Wildlife - Day tour (1 Viewer)

hollis_f

Hi,

Didi and I are planning a trip to Scotland for the first week in May. We've got three days in Speyside and three days in Skye.

Being as it's our first time we're planning on spending our last day of the Speyside section on one of Speyside Wildlife's day trips. We're hoping this will allow us to pick up any species we'd missed during the first two days.

But Speyside Wildlife do several trips - Pine Forest, Highland Glen, Moorland and Cairngorm.

So, my questions are -

• Given our target birds (below) and the places we're visiting (also below) which targets are we most likely to miss.
  • Has anybody been on one of these day trips - if so, what was it like?
  • Ptarmigan and Dotterel would be very nice additions. How likely are we to see them with an expert taking us?
  • Any other advice?
For the previous days I'd been planning on doing -

Loch Ruthven, Findhorn Valley, Loch Garten Capercaille walk, Loch Mallachie and anywhere else we have time for.

Our target species will be -

Crested Tit
Capercaillie
Black Grouse
Red Grouse
Red Throated Diver
Black Throated Diver
Crossbill
Golden Eagle
Osprey
Merlin
Slavonian Grebe

Hi

I went to speyside last May on the train and stayed at boat of garten, as I did not have a car I booked a tour with steve redditch his web address is http://www.highlandwildlifesafaris.co.uk/

we visited the sites you mentioned and others, we saw all but the Capercaillie and golden eagle. Though we did see the Caper on live video from Loch Garten. We did try for Golden eagle in Findhorn valley but were unlucky.

Dottrel and Ptarmigan had been seen on the previous days tour up on the slopes.

If you say what you would like to see I am sure he will do his best to help you. He has good local knowledge. I was picked up at 5.30am in a people carrier and got back about 5pm and also treated to a bacon sandwich breakfast. You will need to take along a packup and flask walking in all that fresh air gives to a good appetite. The day cost £55.00 and well worth it in my opinion.

Hope you have a great time

Julie

Hi,

Didi and I are planning a trip to Scotland for the first week in May. We've got three days in Speyside and three days in Skye.

Being as it's our first time we're planning on spending our last day of the Speyside section on one of Speyside Wildlife's day trips. We're hoping this will allow us to pick up any species we'd missed during the first two days.

But Speyside Wildlife do several trips - Pine Forest, Highland Glen, Moorland and Cairngorm.

So, my questions are -

• Given our target birds (below) and the places we're visiting (also below) which targets are we most likely to miss.
  • Ptarmigan and Dotterel would be very nice additions. How likely are we to see them with an expert taking us?
  • Any other advice?

Loch Ruthven, Findhorn Valley, Loch Garten Capercaille walk, Loch Mallachie and anywhere else we have time for.

Crested Tit
Capercaillie
Black Grouse
Red Grouse
Red Throated Diver
Black Throated Diver
Crossbill
Golden Eagle
Osprey
Merlin
Slavonian Grebe

Frank,
I'll talk to you at Dunge, I spent a week on Speyside.
Paul

Hi Frank,

I've tried to send you a pm/email to your recent query but birdforum says that your account is not receiving any messages at the moment so I'm stuck.

Can you either change your settings or email me at gordon.hamlett 'at' btinternet.com

Cheers,

Gordon

or alternatively (and I appreciate that the ideas of altruism and information sharing are sadly alien to many) you could provide information on the public forum that they were sought on. I'm sure that there are many would value that.

Mike

Done a couple of week long trips with Speyside and they were all amazing - cannot put my hand on my notebooks at the moment (still in house moving boxes) but will post when I do find them.

or alternatively (and I appreciate that the ideas of altruism and information sharing are sadly alien to many) you could provide information on the public forum that they were sought on. I'm sure that there are many would value that.
Don't worry Mike, I'm only after trying to get a(nother) copy of Gordon's book.

Frank

Hi,

So, my questions are -

• Any other advice?

Crested Tit - Learn there calls and spend a couple of hours in the pine forest, I got lucky after about an hour
Capercaillie - Good luck with that one!!
Black Grouse - There is a Lec very close to Insh Marshes, if you have a chat with the warden then he may allow you to join the survey, but they are a very early start - about 04:00!!!, obviously depends when you are going to be there
Red Grouse
Red Throated Diver - Should be easy enough to spot, there were a couple regularly on the loch at Insh Marshes
Black Throated Diver
Crossbill
Golden Eagle - I saw a couple of GE's in the Cairngorms, watch out for the locals though, they take great delight pointing out a GE to the English, when it's obviously a common buzzard
Osprey - Loch Garten or Insh Marshes (great views from here and very quiet)
Merlin -
Slavonian Grebe - RSPB cant remember the name - near Inverness, they breed there

Hi Frank,
Sorry I could not make Dunge, I was Tom&Dick I'm afraid.
I have added some comments to the quote above.
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back