• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nice Surprise (1 Viewer)

WelshWarbler

Welsh Warbler
We usually have the same birds visiting our suburban garden - blue tits, sparrows, starlings, robins etc - nothing too spectacular.

So it was a really nice surprise a few weeks ago when a male bullfinch paid us a visit. Such striking plumage. Beautiful! He stayed for 10 to 15 minutes eating berries in a honeysuckle bush growing up against the garden fence.

Anyone else had any nice surprises recently?

We usually have the same birds visiting our suburban garden - blue tits, sparrows, starlings, robins etc - nothing too spectacular.

So it was a really nice surprise a few weeks ago when a male bullfinch paid us a visit. Such striking plumage. Beautiful! He stayed for 10 to 15 minutes eating berries in a honeysuckle bush growing up against the garden fence.

Anyone else had any nice surprises recently?

Hello WelshWarbler,
Two weeks ago at 8am on the
Sunday. Going round the corner near Willesborough
Church, Ashford,Kent.(Urban). There, sitting on the
hand rail over a ditch/stream was a' Little Egret'.
This caused a sudden outburst of 'goose bumps'
and almost a pranged car. ( I was tickled pink! )

Kind regards,
young Ian.

My best surprise bird in my garden was the little brown bird that stunned us on the way to visit my mother in hospital, we were in the car, just about to drive out of our drive and this liitle brown Treecreeper landed near the bottom of the Ash tree on our boundry, we watched it as it spiraled up the tree to the bird box then, it flew across the road into the tree opposite where we normally have the Greater Spotted Woodpecker nest.
That still sits well in my mind as the most recent great garden bird.
My other favourite is the daily view of the wren that sits in the choysia bush by the bay window, it sits there and sings it's little heart out, what a joy to the heart.

Hi Nina
I've been lucky enough to see a few treecreepers over the years but never seen one in our garden.

Yes the wren is a lovely bird to listen to. A big voice for one so small!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back