• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are the tree sparrows?? (1 Viewer)

razorsharp

For the Laugh
I am from Ireland and I have never seen a tree sparrow. Does anyone know of an area where I can be nearly certain of seeing one, paricularly in the leinster area?? Thanks

HI,
The Wexford Slobs has a population of Tree Sparrows which is present all year. Not sure of an exact location there where you might be sure of seeing them but the visitor centre at the reserve could steer you right.
Also I recall something on the Louth thread recently about them but open to correction on that.
Rogerstown Estuary also has Tree Sparrows .
There are probably lots of places along the east coast which someone local could point you to. Wexford Slobs in winter would be my favourite due to geese.
Hope this helps

I am from Ireland and I have never seen a tree sparrow. Does anyone know of an area where I can be nearly certain of seeing one, paricularly in the leinster area?? Thanks

Swords Estuary is a good spot, see them reglularly. Usually a good spot is along where everyone feeds the swans. Also found further around the northern side of the estuary, follow road east to small point/beach and you can walk along the track or road (if tide is out) heading north. As you come to 2 large houses you'll see a small river/outflow into the estuary with plenty of trees/shrubbery, this is also a good spot. Keeping low and slow along here can give you great views of Kingfisher perched on posts in river or fishing from wall at the outflow.

There are some hanging around the area known as the Windgates, north of Greystones before Bray Head, in stubble fields on the seaward side. Every time I've ever visited the Wexford Slobs, they've been at the visitors' centre giving very close views.

Hi I'm new to the forum so I've just seen your request for Tree Sparrows in Ireland. Dundalk Bay area Co Louth south of Dundalk holds a good few. Portmore Park R.S.P.B reserve Co. Antrim is an excellent site for them. I'm also privileged to have a small colony down my road here in Monaghan. Watch out for Tree/ House Sparrow hybrids too.

Monahawk

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back