• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ18 adapters (1 Viewer)

pfscornelius

Help please!

Recently I viewed a website, in the USA I think, in which the photographer had tested the Panasonic FZ18 with the Olympus TCON converter 1.7x I think, but with adapters of DIFFERING LENGTHS between camera and converter. He showed images differing in resolution depending on what length of adapter was used. I think his shots were of an electrical installation, cables on a power-pole or similar. The optimal adapter length was NOT that recommended or supplied by Panasonic.

Can anyone tell me what the address of the website is? Thanks! Incidentally, have you seen details of Pemaraal's forthcoming PA62E telescopic adapter? Look at their website. If the test review I referred to above is right, finding the optimal length of adapter may be essential for all TC use with digital cameras, and the Pemaraal variable one may be extremely useful. Paul.

Last edited:
The website of the company that make the PA62E adapter is http://www.pemaraal.com/index.php?page=fz18ac

This link is to the page on their site which shows the PA62E fitted to an FZ18 with various lenses, including the TCON18 1.7x teleconverter fitted.

I have just emailed them to find out if they can supply to the UK and if so how much for the adapter and the necessary step-up ring for the TCON17.

Last edited:
They do supply to the UK. I emailed them for the 55-50 step down ring for the Nikon TC-E15ED no one in the UK does that size step down ring. Shipping was only $6
Quote from site:
International Shipments
Our standard shipping is via First Class International (5 to 15 business days). Expedited shipping is via Global Express Mail (3 to 5 business days). If delivery time is critical or tracking is required we strongly recommend the Expedited service.

Also the PA62E is dearer than the DMW-LA3 which i have just purchased from UKDigital for £24.99

According to their site the PA62E is $41.00 which at the current exchange rate of about 1.9 gives a price of £22.63. If they can supply the correct set-up ring as well and send the lot for $6.00 it mights be quite a good package.

Does the DMW-LA3 work with the TCON17?

According to the DPR-Panasonic forum quite a number of members use the PA62E/TCON17 combination.

I think most of the TCON 17 users on the thread use a DMW-LA3. I would read through some of the resent posts about it.

I think the TCON 17 has a 55mm rear thread so if you bought the DMW-LA3 you would have no need for a step ring.

I have just received an email back from Pemaraal re the PA62E and they confirm the price as $41.00 and $6.25 for postage to the UK.

Both will now be about the same price:
DMW-LA3 - 24.90 + 2.50 = £27.40
PA62E - 41.00 + 6.25 = $47.25/1.96 = £24.11

I shall now have to decide which one to go for.

As far as I see it at the moment, the LA3 adapter will work fine but will need to be removed if I use the wide angle setting as it causes some vignetting. The PA62E retracks back over the lens when not required and can therefore stay on the camera all the time.

Hi all,
Have just joined the forum and am after a little help if possible, I have just purchased a FZ18 and am very pleased with it, have previously been a point and click person but am looking to try to become more knowledgeable and start to use some of the manual adjustments to provide better images.

I love the 18x zoom and the extra available by reducing the resolution but still find that for wildlife shots it is still difficult to get close enough to get good pictures, therefor I am considering buying a zoom lens, here is where I need the help, I have stayed away from the cheap options n Ebay and looking in this forum the tcon-17 seems to be a popular choice with the fz-18.

I dont have a large budget and am most likely to use the lens without tripod in most instances (which someone said is possible with this camera) so my questions are;

a) Is the tcon-17 the best lens to get as I see other lenses with a higher zoom (is this a good thing)
b) It appears that an adapter ring is required for this, however people also seem to be talking about a PA62E which seems to be some form of adjustable adapter, do I need this, does it provide any benefits and does it require additional knowledge re setting it at different lengths etc, I dont want to add something which will potentially invoke elements which could reduce point and click shooting.
c)Does anyone have any comparision shots which would show the extra magnification provided by the tcon-17 and for a point and click enthusiast is it likely to be worth the not small investment.

Sorry to go on, but as a married man I cannot afford the wrath incurred if I spend money on something which isn't right or doesnt get used as much as I am saying it will. :)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, it is appreciated.

I use the FZ18 with Olympus TCON 17 & DMW-LA3 and as Imace said there is no need for a step ring. Have only been using for a few weeks but happy with results.

Hi,
Thanks for that, am off to Malta in May and would like to get what I need prior to the trip, my technical knowledge extends to "you press the button and the image jumps in through the front glassy bit" at the moment, so although I want to increase my technical capabilities in the programable modes I would expect that I will mainly use the camera in IA mode for the short term, does the tcon-17 produce decent quality results on the FZ18 in IA or do I need to learn more of the technical ins and outs to get the best use from it.

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Thanks for that, am off to Malta in May and would like to get what I need prior to the trip, my technical knowledge extends to "you press the button and the image jumps in through the front glassy bit" at the moment, so although I want to increase my technical capabilities in the programable modes I would expect that I will mainly use the camera in IA mode for the short term, does the tcon-17 produce decent quality results on the FZ18 in IA or do I need to learn more of the technical ins and outs to get the best use from it.

Thanks in advance

Hello Willy?

Like you I decided I needed more zoom after using the camera for a week.
In my opinion it's worth getting the TCON 1.7 and adapter. You could try using the Extended Optical Zoom which gives you 28x zoom. I intend to try it next weekend.
Regarding settings, I have not tried IA mode so can't comment.
My settings so far that work for me are,

Outdoor Sports
Aspect ratio 4:3
Pict. size 8M (change this to 3M for EOZ)
Quality Fine
AF mode 3 area focusing (high speed)
Stabilizer Mode 2
Cont AF On
Power Save 5 min
All sounds(beeps) Off
Burst shooting Unlimited
Exposure -1/3
These are probably not the best settings, but I always return to them.

The thing to do is to use your camera as much as you can, and try different settings. Oh, and read the manual as someone else mentioned!
Most of my photos are crap, or empty (fight shots!), but gradually I'm improving, and it adds a new, fun dimension to birding. Remember to practice in good light, it really makes a big difference.

Brian.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for that, I will give those settings a try and see how we get on, I assume that somewhere there will be a reset to factory defaults if I screw everything up, still on the baby steps, at present my photograpic knowledge extends to "click the button and the picture jumps into the glassy bit at the front" but I enjoy taking the pictures but am concerned that when minimum knowledge is available the Intelligent Auto modes are probably equivalent to being well down my learning curve so at present just trying to pick up tips as we go along.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back