• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From 4 to 2 to 1 week [only:()] in florida (1 Viewer)

broady

Dear birders,

1 week in South Florida, first week of March. Car and tent. Arriving /leaving from Fort Lauderdale. Looking for Florida specialities (there at the time and more if possible).

I did look at some reports and bird trail maps.

Suggestions towards route / camping place / not to be missed welcome !

Target birds if in season (limpkin, snail kite, shorebirds)

Many thanks

Broady

I would suggest that you first go to Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, Wakodahatchee Wetlands and Green Cay Wetlands which are all close together and an easy day trip north of Fort Lauderdale. Then a trip to Everglades National Park with visits to the Anhinga Trail and Shark Valley.

I have been making Winter trips to Florida for bird photgraphy for several years and these are the best locations in that area.

If you think you may have more time you could go farther north up to Viera Wetlands and Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

The location of these places can be found by a "Google" search.

Thanks !

I would suggest that you first go to Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, Wakodahatchee Wetlands and Green Cay Wetlands which are all close together and an easy day trip north of Fort Lauderdale. Then a trip to Everglades National Park with visits to the Anhinga Trail and Shark Valley.

I have been making Winter trips to Florida for bird photgraphy for several years and these are the best locations in that area.

If you think you may have more time you could go farther north up to Viera Wetlands and Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

The location of these places can be found by a "Google" search.

Dear Bob,

Thanks for the info. I was aso trying to find a few good campgrounds for night birding...

Great pictures on your website.

Broady

I am a photographer so birding at night is not my thing. For camping near Loxahatchee, there is John Prince Park in Lake Worth. However, the first week of March it might be hard to get a camping spot there. When I was in Florida last year at that time I had to camp all the way over at Lake Ockeechobee.

Camping at Long Pine Key Campground in Everglades National Park should not be a problem. It is "first come, first served" and I have always been able to get a spot there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back