• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Krabi town mangrove walkway (1 Viewer)

paddleasia

Birding in Southern Thailand since Feb '93 - http:
I just got back from a couple days of birding in Phang Nga Province and we ended in Krabi. The new-ish mangrove walkway in Krabi Town is producing some pretty nice birds these days.

We saw a Mangrove Pitta briefly, Pied Fantails, Ruby-cheeked Sunbirds (M & F), Brown-throated Sunbirds (M & F), a pair Collared Kingfishers and a few Ashy Tailorbirds. Except for the pitta, we see these birds almost every time we visit this walkway. We listened to a pair of Ruddy Kingfishers talk to each other, but didn't get to spot them.

It the past, I've seen Red-and-black Broadbills in this same area... no luck this time though.

The mangrove walkway in the northern end of the bay at Phang Nga Bay National Parks is still broken down and blocked off... however, we saw a Streak-breasted Woodpecker female near the entrance to the walkway.

Hiya Dave, will check it out next time I am in Thailand (and will give you a shout, hopefully this summer).

That's cool. There certainly wasn't a walk way last time I was in Krabi, And I'm still yet to see Ruddy Kingfisher. Where is it centre of town ?

Anyone heard of Finfoot being seen around Krabi recently, or any gen this winter on Chinese Egret, Buffy Fish-Owl, and Nordmann's Greenshank ?

That's cool. There certainly wasn't a walk way last time I was in Krabi, And I'm still yet to see Ruddy Kingfisher. Where is it centre of town ?

Anyone heard of Finfoot being seen around Krabi recently, or any gen this winter on Chinese Egret, Buffy Fish-Owl, and Nordmann's Greenshank ?

The new mangrove walkway is on the edge of town on the way out. You have to make a U-turn to come back to it.

There was a great Ruddy Kingfisher site in Phuket, but it's all been destroyed even though mangrove is supposed to be protected. The lack of law enforcement here means that all of Nature is under threat.

I regularly see Ruddy Kingfishers at a mangrove walkway near Phang Nga Town in the spring. The Mangrove Pitta is a certainty then too.

Buffy Fish-Owls are dead easy in Khao Sok on the reservoir. There are a dozen or so on one big island. We see them from kayaks on any day that we look for them. This island is also nice for seeing both Grey-headed and Lesser Fish-Eagles and Blue-eared Kingfishers.

I saw a Mangrove Pitta at the Phang Nga Town mangrove walkway on the 19th and again on the 20th. This has got to be the easiest place (in the world?) to see this magnificent bird.

I normally see it in the spring when it is calling, but for some reason it is starting to call already. There is more than one in this very small patch of old-growth mangrove.

I got back from Thailand yesterday.
On the Krabi Walkway saw a male streak-brested woodpecker. Also lots of pied fantails, ruby cheeked sunbirds, ashy tailorbirds and both brown-winged and collared kingfishers. Did not see mangrove pita.
Did see mangrove pita, at very close range, from the Phang Nga walkway. Also saw Black-and-Red broadbill here.

February 22nd, we saw the Mangrove Pitta again as well as a White-chested Babbler... another difficult species that is usually easy to see there.

The Streak-breasted Woodpeckers seem to be fairly common at the Phang Nga National Park mangrove walkway, the Phang Nga Province mangrove walkway, but I've not seen it yet at the Krabi walkway. Thanks for letting us know that it's there now too!

I just got back from Singapore and I spent a good bit of yesterday afternoon at the botanical gardens... very nice indeed. I saw a male Banded Woodpecker, a Stork-billed Kingfisher, some Orange-breasted Pigeons and a White-breasted Waterhen that you could walk right up to. WB Waterhens in Thailand are very skittish, probably because the locals eat 'em!

Mike Buckland informed me that he saw Mangrove Pitta, Ashy Tailorbird and Brown-winged Kingfisher on the walkway at Krabi. A nice alternative to the boat trips.

Not aware of the finfoot being seen in Krabi in years, Chinese Egret in good numbers (and easy to id now as it is in breeding plumage).

Sorry, not a bird but everyone having a look around at the Krabi mangrove walkway should keep an eye for the Smooth-coated Otters that frequent the area. I had amazing close looks at one here once.
Brown-winged Kingfisher is usually easy to see here in my experience.

On my last visit to Krabi (April 2009) the walkway was beginning to fall into disrepair and there are now signs warning people to be careful. At that time it was still easily negotiated excercising a bit of care but without repairs it will be a mess within a year or so.

Every time I go down this walkway I see Brown-winged Kingfisher, Collared Kingfisher and Ashy Tailorbird. I almost always see Mangrove Pitta here too (5 times out of 7).

Other birds to look out for from Krabi waterfront include the ever-present Pacific Swallow, Rufous-bellied Swallow (split from Striated), White-bellied Sea Eagle, Asian Glossy Starling and Brahminy Kite.

Nordmann's Greenshank and Chinese Egret are easily seen at Laem Pak Bia in the winter.

The new mangrove walkway is on the edge of town on the way out. You have to make a U-turn to come back to it.

Could you be a little more specific.I will only be in Krabi for a day and don`t want to spend too much time wandering about aimlesly. Also.could you give directions to the walkway in Phang Nga town. Thanks in anticipation.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back